Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K.p theory model & Heavy-hole effective masses in strained QWs

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    Hi Everyone, :smile:

I am new to the Physics Forums. I have a question regarding k.p theory.

I am keen to design band-diagram, wave-functions of a strained MQW structure. I understand that in strained QWs, Heavy-Hole (and probably light-hole also) effective mass decreases significantly with strain, which consequently affects the subband states in the Hole QW.

Couple of questions I have regarding this are as follows:

1) Does anyone has a model on Mathcad or Mathematica which calculates this? If not can anyone suggest a paper which provides simplified details of how to write the code for this. Unfortunately I am very new to designing field with limited experience in writing code.

2) How can one calculate the strained Heavy and light hole effective masses?

Thanks a million for your help!

Paul M. :smile:
    ps: I put this message also in the "Beyond the Standard Model" section as I wasnt sure where my question was best to ask...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 29, 2007 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try getting the book, Physics of Optoelectronic Devices by S L Chuang. THe first couple of chapters will provide much of what you are looking for, maybe not the code, but you cna figure it out from there.

5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    Hello,

I also try to dealing with 8-band k.p method for bandstructure calculations. First of all, for simple case I am just working on only 2 bands to determine the valance bandstructure of quantum well (from Shun Lien CHuang's book: Physics of Optoelectronic devices at page 182). I met a difficulty from solving the coupled differential equation generated from this 2-band k.p model as following link:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/ajou0611/EigSys.jpg?t=1191804568

Could you help me to solve this equation by Finite difference method?

Thanks in advance,

Khai

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  6. Oct 7, 2007 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Finite difference wil help. It will be a bear to get good solutions easily. Look at the references on page 184 an d you should be able to get there.

7. Oct 7, 2007 #6
    Thanks you for your rapid response !

I was now successful in dealing with 2-band k.p model following the reference at page 184 of S. L. Chuang's book. However, in case of 8-band k.p model in Guobin Liu's article et. al Phys. Rev. B 65, 165220 my code generated some spurious solutions. I couldn't get the wave functions as in the paper. I am wondering how can we rearrange the bands? Should we arrange the band alternatively (Psi11,Psi21,...,Psi81,...,Psi1i,Psi2i,...,Psi8i...Psi1N,Psi2N,...,Psi8N) or successively (Psi11,Psi12,...,Psi1N,Psi21,Psi22,...,Psi2N,...,Psi81,Psi82,...,Psi8N)?

Best wishes,

Khai

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  8. Oct 8, 2007 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spurious bands are a trademark of inverting k.p matricies. There are plenty of solutions out there to eliminate them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?