1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K.p theory model & Heavy-hole effective masses in strained QWs

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    Hi Everyone, :smile:

I am new to the Physics Forums. I have a question regarding k.p theory.

I am keen to design band-diagram, wave-functions of a strained MQW structure. I understand that in strained QWs, Heavy-Hole (and probably light-hole also) effective mass decreases significantly with strain, which consequently affects the subband states in the Hole QW.

Couple of questions I have regarding this are as follows:

1) Does anyone has a model on Mathcad or Mathematica which calculates this? If not can anyone suggest a paper which provides simplified details of how to write the code for this. Unfortunately I am very new to designing field with limited experience in writing code.

2) How can one calculate the strained Heavy and light hole effective masses?

Thanks a million for your help!

Paul M. :smile:
    ps: I put this message also in the "Beyond the Standard Model" section as I wasnt sure where my question was best to ask...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 29, 2007 #3

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try getting the book, Physics of Optoelectronic Devices by S L Chuang. THe first couple of chapters will provide much of what you are looking for, maybe not the code, but you cna figure it out from there.

5. Oct 7, 2007 #4
    Hello,

I also try to dealing with 8-band k.p method for bandstructure calculations. First of all, for simple case I am just working on only 2 bands to determine the valance bandstructure of quantum well (from Shun Lien CHuang's book: Physics of Optoelectronic devices at page 182). I met a difficulty from solving the coupled differential equation generated from this 2-band k.p model as following link:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k177/ajou0611/EigSys.jpg?t=1191804568

Could you help me to solve this equation by Finite difference method?

Thanks in advance,

Khai

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  6. Oct 7, 2007 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Finite difference wil help. It will be a bear to get good solutions easily. Look at the references on page 184 an d you should be able to get there.

7. Oct 7, 2007 #6
    Thanks you for your rapid response !

I was now successful in dealing with 2-band k.p model following the reference at page 184 of S. L. Chuang's book. However, in case of 8-band k.p model in Guobin Liu's article et. al Phys. Rev. B 65, 165220 my code generated some spurious solutions. I couldn't get the wave functions as in the paper. I am wondering how can we rearrange the bands? Should we arrange the band alternatively (Psi11,Psi21,...,Psi81,...,Psi1i,Psi2i,...,Psi8i...Psi1N,Psi2N,...,Psi8N) or successively (Psi11,Psi12,...,Psi1N,Psi21,Psi22,...,Psi2N,...,Psi81,Psi82,...,Psi8N)?

Best wishes,

Khai

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  8. Oct 8, 2007 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spurious bands are a trademark of inverting k.p matricies. There are plenty of solutions out there to eliminate them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?