K short to mu mu branching ration

• Thread starter akshaykatre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the person is asking if the branching ratio of Ks -> mu mu has been experimentally observed and noted. They mention checking the PDG value and wanting to find papers on the source of the same. They also ask for any information on the branching ratio, including how to calculate it. Two other people respond with references from the PDG, and the person is able to find what they were looking for.
akshaykatre
Hi everyone,

Could anyone please tell me if the branching ratio of Ks -> mu mu been experimentally observed and noted? I looked at the PDG value, and I'm trying to find papers where I can find the source of the same.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if there has been an experiment to measure its value (I'm just assuming there is!), and maybe its just a calculated value.

If anyone has any information about this branching ratio - papers, observed value, how to calculate its value - anything... it would really be appreciated!

Thank you in advance

Cheers,
Akshay

Physics news on Phys.org
The PDG data says < 3.2 × 10−7, which would indicate it was looked for experimentally and not found, with references PL B619 61 F. Ambrosino et al. and PL 44B 217 S. Gjesdal et al. Anything useful there?

Go to the PDG. Find the particle listing for K-short. Look for that decay (it's number 11). Go to that section, and you will see two short references, one by Gjesdal and one by Hyams. Then go all the way to the bottom where you will find the full references.

Hey Bill_K,

Firstly, thanks so much for the quick reply..
Actually I didn't know how to read the references.. but thanks so much, I did find the papers but have to read through them still... Hopefully it'll have what I'm looking for...
And when you say it was looked for experimentally and not found... you mean they didn't find a precise value for this branching ratio, correct?!
Also if you can, could you please tell me how you spotted the exact references from the PDG? I don't know how to do it.. and it will be very handy thing to know..

Hi Vanadium 50,

I guess I was writing the earlier reply when you messaged... thanks so much!
But I can't seem to find the correct references when I do that..
I go to equation 11 of Ks to mumu ratio, then i scroll down and see this : 11 This result combines AMBROSINO 06C KLOE 2001-02 data with ALOISIO 02B KLOE
2000 data. K0
S → π+ π− fully inclusiv

correct?
but 06C and 02B are different papers, at least from the ones Bill_K referred to..
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks once again!
Cheers

You need to read what I wrote more carefully.

"LOOK FOR THAT DECAY."

Thanks so much! Yeah I wasn't looking in the right place!
I found what I wanted! :) Thanks so much guys!

1. What is the "K short to mu mu branching ratio"?

The "K short to mu mu branching ratio" is a measure of the probability that a K short meson will decay into a muon and an antimuon. It is a fundamental property of the K short particle that helps us understand its behavior and interactions.

2. How is the "K short to mu mu branching ratio" calculated?

The "K short to mu mu branching ratio" is calculated by dividing the number of observed decays of the K short into a muon and an antimuon by the total number of observed decays of the K short. This calculation takes into account the efficiency of detecting the decays and any background noise.

3. Why is the "K short to mu mu branching ratio" important?

The "K short to mu mu branching ratio" is important because it helps us understand the properties of the K short particle and its interactions with other particles. It can also provide insights into the underlying physics and theories of particle interactions.

4. What factors can affect the "K short to mu mu branching ratio"?

The "K short to mu mu branching ratio" can be affected by various factors such as the energy and momentum of the K short particle, the presence of other particles in the decay process, and experimental uncertainties. Theoretical calculations and predictions can also play a role in the observed branching ratio.

5. How is the "K short to mu mu branching ratio" experimentally measured?

The "K short to mu mu branching ratio" is experimentally measured by analyzing data from particle collisions and identifying the decays of the K short into a muon and an antimuon. This data is then compared to the total number of observed K short decays to determine the branching ratio.