1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

K values with acid and base reactions

1. Mar 2, 2014 #1
    Given an aqueous solution (I'm omitting the subscripts):

## NH_3 + H_2O ←→ NH_4^+ + OH^- K_b ##

Then we can also say:

## NH_3 + H^+ ←→ NH_4^+ K_b ## as well since they're equivalent reactions, right? They both have the same Kb value as a result, right?

So then, ## K_b = \frac {[NH_4^+][OH^-]}{[NH_3]} = \frac{[NH_4^+]}{[NH_3][H^+]} ##

I would just like to clarify, is this true? It looks like ##[OH^-] = \frac{1}{[H^+]}##

Is this true? Does it take into account the constant "concentration" of the water in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2
    [tex][h^+][oh^-]=10^{-14}[/tex]

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3
    Ok. So are the two K expressions not equivalent? I just don't understand why since they're representing the same reaction, are they not?

5. Mar 3, 2014 #4
    There are actually two interacting reactions involved. One is NH3 + H2O, and the other one is OH+H going to H2O. If you're only interested in finding the OH concentration, and the original solution is pH=7, then you can solve for the new OH concentration using the first equilibrium constant. However, if you also want to find the new H+ concentration, you need to use the second equilibrium constant (OH+H). Your second reaction expression is not in a form that you can use to solve directly and uniquely for the product concentrations (and, of course, the K has to be modified).

Chet

6. Mar 3, 2014 #5
    Oh okay! Thank you! So would I just divide Kb by Kw to get the second reaction I specified?

7. Mar 3, 2014 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted