K values with acid and base reactions

In summary, the concentrations of OH- and H+ depend on the pH of the solution, and the two K expression are not equivalent.
MathewsMD
Given an aqueous solution (I'm omitting the subscripts):

## NH_3 + H_2O ←→ NH_4^+ + OH^- K_b ##Then we can also say:

## NH_3 + H^+ ←→ NH_4^+ K_b ## as well since they're equivalent reactions, right? They both have the same Kb value as a result, right?

So then, ## K_b = \frac {[NH_4^+][OH^-]}{[NH_3]} = \frac{[NH_4^+]}{[NH_3][H^+]} ##

I would just like to clarify, is this true? It looks like ##[OH^-] = \frac{1}{[H^+]}##

Is this true? Does it take into account the constant "concentration" of the water in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex][h^+][oh^-]=10^{-14}[/tex]

Chestermiller said:
[tex][h^+][oh^-]=10^{-14}[/tex]

Ok. So are the two K expressions not equivalent? I just don't understand why since they're representing the same reaction, are they not?

MathewsMD said:
Ok. So are the two K expressions not equivalent? I just don't understand why since they're representing the same reaction, are they not?
There are actually two interacting reactions involved. One is NH3 + H2O, and the other one is OH+H going to H2O. If you're only interested in finding the OH concentration, and the original solution is pH=7, then you can solve for the new OH concentration using the first equilibrium constant. However, if you also want to find the new H+ concentration, you need to use the second equilibrium constant (OH+H). Your second reaction expression is not in a form that you can use to solve directly and uniquely for the product concentrations (and, of course, the K has to be modified).

Chet

Chestermiller said:
There are actually two interacting reactions involved. One is NH3 + H2O, and the other one is OH+H going to H2O. If you're only interested in finding the OH concentration, and the original solution is pH=7, then you can solve for the new OH concentration using the first equilibrium constant. However, if you also want to find the new H+ concentration, you need to use the second equilibrium constant (OH+H). Your second reaction expression is not in a form that you can use to solve directly and uniquely for the product concentrations (and, of course, the K has to be modified).

Chet

Oh okay! Thank you! So would I just divide Kb by Kw to get the second reaction I specified?

1. What is the significance of K values in acid and base reactions?

K values, also known as equilibrium constants, are important in acid and base reactions because they represent the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium. This ratio helps determine the strength of the acid or base, as well as the direction of the reaction.

2. How do you calculate K values for acid and base reactions?

K values can be calculated by taking the concentration of the products and dividing it by the concentration of the reactants, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients. The resulting value is the K value for that specific reaction.

3. What factors can affect the value of K in an acid and base reaction?

The value of K can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium of the reaction, resulting in a different K value.

4. How does the strength of an acid or base affect the K value of a reaction?

In general, stronger acids and bases will have higher K values compared to weaker acids and bases. This is because stronger acids and bases have a higher tendency to dissociate, resulting in a higher concentration of products compared to reactants at equilibrium.

5. Can K values be used to predict the direction of an acid and base reaction?

Yes, K values can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. If the calculated K value is greater than 1, the reaction will favor the products, and if it is less than 1, the reaction will favor the reactants. If the K value is close to 1, the reaction is in equilibrium and there will be a relatively equal concentration of products and reactants.