Kalman filter where does y_1 come from?

In summary, the presenter stated on page 7 that there is a noise value of \(y_1 = 0.9\). This value is a hypothetical measurement possibly obtained from the sensor, and the \(y_i\) values represent the observations of float level.
Dustinsfl
In this presentation, on page 7, they say due to noise \(y_1 = 0.9\). How or where did they get this value?

It isn't an article just a beamer presentation so going from page 1 - 7 is quick and easy.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
In this presentation, on page 7, they say due to noise \(y_1 = 0.9\). How or where did they get this value?

It isn't an article just a beamer presentation so going from page 1 - 7 is quick and easy.

It came out of the authors head, it is a hypothetical measurement that you might have gotten from the sensor. The \(\displaystyle y_i\)'s are the measurements (section 3 first sentence \(\displaystyle {\bf{y}}=y\) is the level of the float). So \(\displaystyle y_i\) is the \(\displaystyle i\) th observation (measurement) of the float level.

1. What is a Kalman filter?

A Kalman filter is a mathematical algorithm used for state estimation in systems that are subject to noise and uncertainty. It is commonly used in fields such as control systems, signal processing, and navigation.

2. How does a Kalman filter work?

A Kalman filter uses a series of measurements and a mathematical model to estimate the true state of a system. It combines the noisy measurements with the model predictions to improve the accuracy of the estimate.

3. Where does the y1 value come from in a Kalman filter?

The y1 value, or observation vector, is a measurement of the system's state taken from a sensor. It is used in the Kalman filter algorithm to update the state estimate and reduce the effects of noise and uncertainty.

4. What is the role of y1 in a Kalman filter?

The y1 value is used in the Kalman filter to correct the state estimate based on the most recent measurement. It is essential for accurately estimating the true state of the system, especially in the presence of noise.

5. Can a Kalman filter work with multiple observation vectors?

Yes, a Kalman filter can work with multiple observation vectors, each representing a different measurement of the system's state. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate estimation of the true state, as well as the ability to handle multiple sources of noise and uncertainty.