Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Karzai wants the US out of negotiations

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1

turbo

Gold Member

In light of his demand (before he will agree to negotiate with the Taliban), I think that it would be a great time for the US to stop supporting him with taxpayer money. Afghanistan is a quagmire, as the Russians found before us, and we should stop dumping money into such a fragmented and corrupt system, IMO.

If Karzai does not want US involvement in negotiations to heal his country, I think he should also forgo US financial aid. I don't think he would last a month in office without massive US cash infusions, though.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/06/18/309633/us-lawmaker-blocks-afghan-aid/

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2
    It may just be a tactic to show his country who is boss. He must show his legitimacy and control for his own country.

If the payoffs decline, the country might be completely unmanageable.

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    I don't know if the money US and other countries sends to poor and corrupt countries are well-managed, I don't think they are. I think it may help perpetuate bad management, since those corrupt politicians will always be receiving money without doing anything for their country. Moreover they can more easily finance a stronger military and police in case of a popular uprising. If there were no donations, maybe the incentive to develop the country would be greater.

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't see the connection with financial aid and think seizing control from us is exactly what a leader should be doing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook