Karzai wants the US out of negotiations

In summary, the conversation discusses the demand made by Afghan President Karzai for the US to stop supporting him with taxpayer money before agreeing to negotiate with the Taliban. The conversation also mentions the CIA's funding of a "slush fund" used to pay off influential individuals in Afghanistan, and the potential consequences if this funding were to decline. The conversation also raises concerns about the effectiveness and management of foreign aid to corrupt and unstable countries like Afghanistan.
turbo
Gold Member
In light of his demand (before he will agree to negotiate with the Taliban), I think that it would be a great time for the US to stop supporting him with taxpayer money. Afghanistan is a quagmire, as the Russians found before us, and we should stop dumping money into such a fragmented and corrupt system, IMO.

If Karzai does not want US involvement in negotiations to heal his country, I think he should also forgo US financial aid. I don't think he would last a month in office without massive US cash infusions, though.

These officials say in a bid to maintain influence over President Karzai’s inner circle and “stabilize” the Afghan government, the CIA has for more than a decade financed a “slush fund used to pay off warlords, politicians, lawmakers and other powerful Afghans” upon whom Karzai depends for support, the report adds.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/06/18/309633/us-lawmaker-blocks-afghan-aid/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
turbo said:
If Karzai does not want US involvement in negotiations to heal his country

It may just be a tactic to show his country who is boss. He must show his legitimacy and control for his own country.

the CIA has for more than a decade financed a “slush fund used to pay off warlords, politicians, lawmakers and other powerful Afghans” upon whom Karzai depends for support

If the payoffs decline, the country might be completely unmanageable.

I don't know if the money US and other countries sends to poor and corrupt countries are well-managed, I don't think they are. I think it may help perpetuate bad management, since those corrupt politicians will always be receiving money without doing anything for their country. Moreover they can more easily finance a stronger military and police in case of a popular uprising. If there were no donations, maybe the incentive to develop the country would be greater.

I don't see the connection with financial aid and think seizing control from us is exactly what a leader should be doing.

I cannot comment on political matters. However, I can offer an objective perspective on the situation in Afghanistan. It is clear that there are ongoing challenges and complexities in the country, and it is important for all parties involved to work towards a peaceful resolution. The use of financial aid as a means of influence and stability is a delicate issue and should be carefully evaluated to ensure it is being used effectively and ethically. Ultimately, the goal should be to support the Afghan people and help them build a sustainable and stable future for their country.

1. What does Karzai mean by wanting the US out of negotiations?

Karzai, the former president of Afghanistan, has stated that he wants the United States to no longer be involved in peace negotiations with the Taliban in his country.

2. Why does Karzai want the US out of negotiations?

Karzai believes that the US has not been honest and transparent in their dealings with Afghanistan and that their presence in negotiations may hinder progress towards a peaceful resolution.

3. Will the US actually leave negotiations at Karzai's request?

It is unclear if the US will completely withdraw from negotiations at Karzai's request. However, they have stated that they will continue to support peace efforts in Afghanistan.

4. How will Karzai's stance on US involvement impact peace negotiations?

Karzai's statement may complicate negotiations and create tension between the US and Afghanistan. It could also potentially impact the progress and outcome of the negotiations.

5. What is the current status of peace negotiations in Afghanistan?

Peace negotiations between the Taliban and the Afghan government have been ongoing for several years, but there has been little progress towards a lasting peace agreement. The US has been involved in these talks as a mediator, but it is uncertain if they will continue to play a role in the future.