1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kepler's Law and Non-terrestrial Orbits (Not Earth)

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite orbits a planet at a distance of 6.80 multiplied by 10^8 m. Assume that this distance is between the centers of the planet and the satellite and that the mass of the planet is 3.08 multiplied by 10^24 kg. Find the period for the moon's motion around the earth. Express the answers in earth days

2. Relevant equations
    Kepler's 3rd Law
    Period² = (4(pi)radius³)/(Gravitational Constant * Mass of Massive Body)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have the answer in days of this planet, however, I don't know how to get the answer in Earth days.

7779136.049 = Period.

I'm incredibly sure this is a correct value, I've done multiple calculations and always got within 0.1% of this value

I saw this question in the archive, but I don't believe anyone realized the answer was in Earth days or they just did not show their work (which is what I was hoping to see).

Please help.

Found my problem, needed to divide by days represented in seconds (Period / (60 * 60 * 24));

Answer was 90 days. (decimal dropped out of laziness, forgive me significant digits.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

HOW did you get it "in days of this planet" when nothing is said about the planet's rotation?

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How did you go from Kepler's third law to 7779136.049? What are the units for this number?

In other words, show your work. It's a bit difficult to find where your mistake is if you don't show us how you arrived at your result.

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    How did you get the radius of planet X if the question on,y mentions the satellite's orbital distance?

6. Jan 27, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

That's not the planet's radius, it's the satellite's orbital radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook