Kepler's Law of planetary motion

In summary, Kepler's 3rd Law applies to situations where the two bodies in circular motion are identical. For planets orbiting another planet, you would need to consider the force between the planets and the planet in the center.
Tulatalu

Homework Statement

Two stars of masses M and m, separated by a distance d, revolve in circular orbits around their center of mass.Show that each star has a period given by
T^2= (4π^2)(d^3)/ G(M+m)

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I[/B] know the Kepler's Laws can be expressed as T^2= (4π^2)(d^3)/ G(M) but i don't know how it is applied when 2 planets interact with each other (both in circular motion)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a given that the orbits are circular. Simple kinematics, therefore.

BvU said:
It's a given that the orbits are circular. Simple kinematics, therefore.

Can you explain a bit further please, how does it relate to the Kepler's law. I thought their must be something to do with the gravitational force

Tulatalu said:
I know the Kepler's Laws can be expressed as T^2= (4π^2)(d^3)/ G(M) but i don't know how it is applied when 2 planets interact with each other (both in circular motion)
Kepler's 3rd Law is a special case of Newton's more general formula relating the period to the size of the orbit (the semi-major axis for elliptical orbits, the orbit radius for circular orbits). Kepler's Law makes the unstated assumption that the mass M of the Sun is much, much greater than that of the planet m in orbit so that (M + m) ≈ M. Newton's laws can be applied without making such an assumption.

In this problem you are to show that the individual periods of the orbits of the objects about their common center of mass are as given. You should be able to determine the radius of each orbit by locating the center of mass. Hint: use the angular motion form for centripetal acceleration (involving ω) since there's a simple relationship between ω and period.

gneill said:
Kepler's 3rd Law is a special case of Newton's more general formula relating the period to the size of the orbit (the semi-major axis for elliptical orbits, the orbit radius for circular orbits). Kepler's Law makes the unstated assumption that the mass M of the Sun is much, much greater than that of the planet m in orbit so that (M + m) ≈ M. Newton's laws can be applied without making such an assumption.

In this problem you are to show that the individual periods of the orbits of the objects about their common center of mass are as given. You should be able to determine the radius of each orbit by locating the center of mass. Hint: use the angular motion form for centripetal acceleration (involving ω) since there's a simple relationship between ω and period.
I still don't knowhow to apply Kepler's Law to this problem. I can mathematically prove the Kepler's Law in case of satellite moving around Earth but with 2 planet in circular orbit I have no idea. Can you please explain a bit further and use the equation so that it would be easier for me to follow.

You don't need Kepler's law to derive the period of he orbits. You are given that the orbits are circular, the masses, and the radius. You should be able to work out the rest fairly easily. What speed must the stars be moving at for the circular orbits to be stable? And once you have the speed, what is the period?

Tulatalu said:
I still don't knowhow to apply Kepler's Law to this problem. I can mathematically prove the Kepler's Law in case of satellite moving around Earth but with 2 planet in circular orbit I have no idea. Can you please explain a bit further and use the equation so that it would be easier for me to follow.
You use the same methodology: Pick one of the planets. Determine the radius of the orbit. It's moving in a circle so equate the gravitational acceleration (due to the other planet, which takes the role of the "Sun" in this case) to the centripetal acceleration.

Thanks everybody. It turn out to be not as complicated as I think it is :D

gneill said:
You use the same methodology: Pick one of the planets. Determine the radius of the orbit. It's moving in a circle so equate the gravitational acceleration (due to the other planet, which takes the role of the "Sun" in this case) to the centripetal acceleration.

Coukd I ask one more question : how about the period of 3 identical planets moving around another planet and they are positioned one third of a revolution apart from each other? Do we have consider the force between the three planets or just simply the force between them and the planet in the centre?

Tulatalu said:
Coukd I ask one more question : how about the period of 3 identical planets moving around another planet and they are positioned one third of a revolution apart from each other? Do we have consider the force between the three planets or just simply the force between them and the planet in the centre?

Um, there would be no planet at the center if they are spaced equally around the orbit. Like the two-planet scenario, the center of the orbits is empty.

But yes, you must take into account all the forces acting and resolve them (vectors!) into the net force that provides the centripetal force for each planet.

Note that many configurations of multiple objects in mutual orbit are not stable over long periods of time. If you're interested in the topic, I might suggest starting with a search on "Klemperer rosette" :)

gneill said:
Um, there would be no planet at the center if they are spaced equally around the orbit. Like the two-planet scenario, the center of the orbits is empty.

But yes, you must take into account all the forces acting and resolve them (vectors!) into the net force that provides the centripetal force for each planet.

Note that many configurations of multiple objects in mutual orbit are not stable over long periods of time. If you're interested in the topic, I might suggest starting with a search on "Klemperer rosette" :)
Now it's too much for me :D but thanks anyway.

1. What is Kepler's Law of planetary motion?

Kepler's Law of planetary motion is a set of three laws developed by astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century. These laws describe the motion of planets around the sun and are fundamental principles in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies.

2. What are the three laws of Kepler's Law of planetary motion?

The first law, also known as the Law of Ellipses, states that the orbit of a planet around the sun is an ellipse with the sun at one of the two foci. The second law, or the Law of Equal Areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal times. The third law, or the Law of Harmonies, states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

3. How did Kepler come up with his laws?

Kepler developed his laws by analyzing the observations of his mentor, Tycho Brahe, who recorded precise data on the positions of planets in the night sky. By analyzing this data, Kepler was able to formulate his laws and propose a heliocentric model of the solar system.

4. How have Kepler's laws impacted our understanding of the solar system?

Kepler's laws have greatly contributed to our understanding of the solar system and its mechanics. They have been used to accurately predict the positions of planets and other celestial bodies, and have also helped in the discovery of new planets and moons. These laws have also laid the foundation for further advancements in astronomy and space exploration.

5. Are Kepler's laws still relevant in modern times?

Yes, Kepler's laws are still relevant and widely used in modern times. They have been confirmed and refined through numerous observations and experiments, and are still considered to be fundamental principles in understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. They are also used in current space missions and in the search for exoplanets.