KFC double down now has competition

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary, the Friendly's 1500 calorie sandwich sounds disgusting and impractical. It would be difficult to eat and would not be satisfying.
gravenewworld
with this 1500 calorie bomb:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/us-burger-joint-unleashes-1500-calorie-sandwich/article1613861/?cmpid=rss1

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess Friendly's isn't that friendly.

It's a growing trend in the US to have the most gigantic portions imganibale in a single serving. Makes it easier for obese people to order. "but I only had one sandwich!"

Yuck! I think you'd need to unhinge your jaw to eat the thing. And I'm pretty sure if I actually saw someone eating that thing, I'd probably lose my own appetite just from the site of it.

I love grilled cheese and burgers, but 2 grilled cheese sandwiches would overload me before factoring in the burger "filling".

I actually find that pretty funny, it's in no way a 'sandwich' as it's not feasibly possible to eat it as such. It's simply food items stacked on top of each other.

I suggest they take the next inevitable step of making a bigmac style one. With a third 'grilled cheese sandwich' and another burger... marvellous.

I used to live in upstate NY and spent a lot of time in VT, which is Friendly territory. Do you have them in Maine turbo?

Evo said:
I used to live in upstate NY and spent a lot of time in VT, which is Friendly territory. Do you have them in Maine turbo?
Yep! There are three located in the first 3 cities to the south of here.

You can easily hit anyone of them in less than an hour's driving, though I don't see the point. The food is crap and I don't eat ice cream/sundaes/splits.

Last edited:
There's one about a 1/4 mile from my house. I only ate there once in the past 15 years I lived here. That was earlier this month when they gave away free ice cream to celebrate their 75th anniversary. Not bad at all. I'd definitely go there again on their next anniversary.

That's just gross. I rarely even eat hamburgers any more because I usually feel sick afterward.

TheStatutoryApe said:
That's just gross. I rarely even eat hamburgers any more because I usually feel sick afterward.

Same here. And not just burgers, but most restaurant food is so full of fat and salt...it doesn't digest well.

I'm not impressed at all. Anyone can make a 1500 calorie sandwich taste good.
It always seems so stupid to me to come out with a sandwich like that, like they've been working in a lab for years trying to perfect it, and then come out with a pile of grease as if they've created something.

Yeah, I'm going to go right out and try it. I've had bread, meat and cheese before, but never in that configuration. They put the cheese in a different location in the sandwich, so that means I have to go out and try it, because I don't know what that could possibly taste like.

Now that I'm already ranting, I have to say something about that 50 cent wings "deal" at Pizza Hut. 50 cents for 1 wing? That's a horrible price. People actually see that and go "wow, I have to go out and take advantage of that before it's over". Not only is that a bad price, it sounds like a price INCREASE. People were actually paying MORE than 50 cent per wing before this deal?
Oh yes, give me some wings. Some fat, skin, tendons and a vein if I'm lucky and MAYBE some meat. Maybe. There's no guarantee. Oh, but I can dip my fatskintendonvein covered bone in my choice of sauce. Well yippy.

And now I saw a commercial on TV for some "wings", that were boneless and were made from breast meat... That's not a wing, that's a chicken nugget. But they call it a wing so morons who apparently don't know what wings are will go out and buy tons of them because they hear "wings" and get excited because they like sucking BBQ sauce off of chicken bones.

leroyjenkens said:
Now that I'm already ranting, I have to say something about that 50 cent wings "deal" at Pizza Hut. 50 cents for 1 wing? That's a horrible price. People actually see that and go "wow, I have to go out and take advantage of that before it's over". Not only is that a bad price, it sounds like a price INCREASE. People were actually paying MORE than 50 cent per wing before this deal?
Oh yes, give me some wings. Some fat, skin, tendons and a vein if I'm lucky and MAYBE some meat. Maybe. There's no guarantee. Oh, but I can dip my fatskintendonvein covered bone in my choice of sauce. Well yippy.
It's worse, is half a wing (1/3 if you count the tip). Evo Child bought bulk hot wings at the store $6.97 a pound! Whole chickens usually sell for 98 cents per pound.

The Grilled Cheese BurgerMelt’s calorie count is about half the estimated energy requirement of an active adult male.

2*1500 = 3000, 3000 is a lot, most people don't need that much. It is not "about half", it is "well above half".

Ugh. My arteries are clogging just looking at that thing.

Borek said:
2*1500 = 3000, 3000 is a lot, most people don't need that much. It is not "about half", it is "well above half".

Yeah... I'd put it around 2300, maybe 2700 if you work out several times a week.

Michael Phelps eats about 3000 calories for breakfast. If you're really active, 3000 calories isn't that much.

leroyjenkens said:
Michael Phelps eats about 3000 calories for breakfast. If you're really active, 3000 calories isn't that much.

Although I don't think you'd catch many olympic level atheletes eating one of those monstosities.

leroyjenkens said:

Michael Phelps puts out around 5 times the amount of a normal person.

TubbaBlubba said:
Michael Phelps puts out around 5 times the amount of a normal person.

But an active man was specified, not just a normal person.

leroyjenkens said:
But an active man was specified, not just a normal person.

"Active" is arbitrary. Just performing daily routines (no heavy work at all) should burn about 2000-2200 calories in a man. To get up to 3000, you'd have to work out (rather intensively) for about an hour a day or have a quite heavy job. I burn about 800 calories in an hour on my crosstrainer at maximum resistance, at least (according to the damned contraption).

If Michael Phelps can burn 8,000 more calories in a day than a normal person, I don't think it's asking too much for an active person to burn 1,000 more.

Right, the ridiculousness has started.

Time for me to depart.

It's true what they say, you can tell a lot about a culture, its people, and the country in general by how and what the people eat. Really, what is the double down and this double grilled cheese burger saying about America?

gravenewworld said:
It's true what they say, you can tell a lot about a culture, its people, and the country in general by how and what the people eat. Really, what is the double down and this double grilled cheese burger saying about America?
We are a a culture of excess catering to losers? Nah! Can't be!

gravenewworld said:

Nonsense. Show me the evidence.

gravenewworld said:
It's true what they say, you can tell a lot about a culture, its people, and the country in general by how and what the people eat.
That's so. In France they eat French Fries and in Belgium they eat Belgian Waffles. Otherwise you couldn't tell them apart.

In France they eat live baby birds. In China they eat penis. What does that say? :biggrin:

When I was a kid, my friend's dad once fixed us a classic Finnish [Swedish?] breakfast: Bacon grease and syrup on toast, with bacon.

leroyjenkens said:
If Michael Phelps can burn 8,000 more calories in a day than a normal person, I don't think it's asking too much for an active person to burn 1,000 more.

Of course it's not impossible, but you'd have to be fairly dedicated. But it's splitting hairs anyway.

Ivan: Sounds disgusting, never heard of that here in Sweden.[STRIKE] It sounds like something Norweigans or Danes would eat.[/STRIKE]

ugh, we are moving today, so the Evo Child went to KFC. She got the grilled chicken. It was a chicken breast over cooked to the point that the outside was stiff and hard to chew, the inside like the sands of the Kalahari desert. The mashed "potatoes" had a chemical taste, the beans were candied and had a very strong spice in them that left a really nasty bitter taste on the back of your tongue, which is amazing considering how much sugar they contained, and the potato salad was sickeningly sugary. We couldn't eat it it. The only thing not coated in sugar was the chicken.

Evo said:
The only thing not coated in sugar was the chicken.
Don't bet on it.

Ingredients for KFC Grilled Chicken:
fastfoodingredients.com said:
Fresh Chicken Marinated with: Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Monosodium Glutamate Seasoned with: Maltodextrin, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Chicken Fat, Chicken Broth, Autolyzed Yeast, Beef Powder, Rendered Beef Fat, Extractives of Turmeric, Dehydrated Carrot, Onion Powder, and Not More Than 2% Each of Calcium Silicate and Silicon Dioxide Added as Anticaking Agents. Contains Wheat and Soy.
http://www.fastfoodingredients.com/category/kfc/"

wiki said:
Maltodextrin is a short chained starch sugar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextrin"
OK, not coated with it, but it's early in the list of ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Ingredients for KFC Grilled Chicken:

http://www.fastfoodingredients.com/category/kfc/"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextrin"
OK, not coated with it, but it's early in the list of ingredients.
There was some nasty glaze on the skin which I threw away first, then realized it might have been the only edible part of the chicken.

And I *love* their fried chicken, the extra cripsy has enough grease to send my gall bladder into seizures, but worth it once a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
xxChrisxx said:
I actually find that pretty funny, it's in no way a 'sandwich' as it's not feasibly possible to eat it as such. It's simply food items stacked on top of each other.

Precisely! They call it "layering" and is a big component in the psychology of fast food. Things are just getting more ridiculous! I think it's time to empty the pool, fill it with soil and start growing my own food :)

Evo said:
There was some nasty glaze on the skin which I threw away first, then realized it might have been the only edible part of the chicken.

:rofl: