Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

KFC double down now has competition

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I guess Friendly's isn't that friendly.

It's a growing trend in the US to have the most gigantic portions imganibale in a single serving. Makes it easier for obese people to order. "but I only had one sandwich!"

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yuck! I think you'd need to unhinge your jaw to eat the thing. And I'm pretty sure if I actually saw someone eating that thing, I'd probably lose my own appetite just from the site of it.

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I love grilled cheese and burgers, but 2 grilled cheese sandwiches would overload me before factoring in the burger "filling".

6. Jun 23, 2010 #5
    I actually find that pretty funny, it's in no way a 'sandwich' as it's not feasibly possible to eat it as such. It's simply food items stacked on top of each other.

I suggest they take the next inevitable step of making a bigmac style one. With a third 'grilled cheese sandwich' and another burger.... marvellous.

7. Jun 23, 2010 #6

Evo

I used to live in upstate NY and spent a lot of time in VT, which is Friendly territory. Do you have them in Maine turbo?

8. Jun 23, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Yep! There are three located in the first 3 cities to the south of here.

You can easily hit any one of them in less than an hour's driving, though I don't see the point. The food is crap and I don't eat ice cream/sundaes/splits.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  9. Jun 24, 2010 #8
    There's one about a 1/4 mile from my house. I only ate there once in the past 15 years I lived here. That was earlier this month when they gave away free ice cream to celebrate their 75th anniversary. Not bad at all. I'd definitely go there again on their next anniversary.

10. Jun 24, 2010 #9
    That's just gross. I rarely even eat hamburgers any more because I usually feel sick afterward.

11. Jun 24, 2010 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here. And not just burgers, but most restaurant food is so full of fat and salt...it doesn't digest well.

12. Jun 24, 2010 #11
    I'm not impressed at all. Anyone can make a 1500 calorie sandwich taste good.
    It always seems so stupid to me to come out with a sandwich like that, like they've been working in a lab for years trying to perfect it, and then come out with a pile of grease as if they've created something.

Yeah, I'm gonna go right out and try it. I've had bread, meat and cheese before, but never in that configuration. They put the cheese in a different location in the sandwich, so that means I have to go out and try it, because I don't know what that could possibly taste like.

Now that I'm already ranting, I have to say something about that 50 cent wings "deal" at Pizza Hut. 50 cents for 1 wing? That's a horrible price. People actually see that and go "wow, I have to go out and take advantage of that before it's over". Not only is that a bad price, it sounds like a price INCREASE. People were actually paying MORE than 50 cent per wing before this deal?
    Oh yes, give me some wings. Some fat, skin, tendons and a vein if I'm lucky and MAYBE some meat. Maybe. There's no guarantee. Oh, but I can dip my fatskintendonvein covered bone in my choice of sauce. Well yippy.

And now I saw a commercial on TV for some "wings", that were boneless and were made from breast meat.... That's not a wing, that's a chicken nugget. But they call it a wing so morons who apparently don't know what wings are will go out and buy tons of them because they hear "wings" and get excited because they like sucking BBQ sauce off of chicken bones.

13. Jun 24, 2010 #12

Evo

It's worse, is half a wing (1/3 if you count the tip). Evo Child bought bulk hot wings at the store $6.97 a pound! Whole chickens usually sell for 98 cents per pound.

14. Jun 24, 2010 #13

Borek

2*1500 = 3000, 3000 is a lot, most people don't need that much. It is not "about half", it is "well above half".

15. Jun 24, 2010 #14

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Ugh. My arteries are clogging just looking at that thing.

16. Jun 24, 2010 #15
    Yeah... I'd put it around 2300, maybe 2700 if you work out several times a week.

17. Jun 24, 2010 #16
    Michael Phelps eats about 3000 calories for breakfast. If you're really active, 3000 calories isn't that much.

18. Jun 24, 2010 #17
    Although I don't think you'd catch many olympic level atheletes eating one of those monstosities.

19. Jun 24, 2010 #18
    Michael Phelps puts out around 5 times the amount of a normal person.

20. Jun 24, 2010 #19
    But an active man was specified, not just a normal person.

21. Jun 24, 2010 #20
    "Active" is arbitrary. Just performing daily routines (no heavy work at all) should burn about 2000-2200 calories in a man. To get up to 3000, you'd have to work out (rather intensively) for about an hour a day or have a quite heavy job. I burn about 800 calories in an hour on my crosstrainer at maximum resistance, at least (according to the damned contraption).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook