KFC double down now has competition

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Competition
In summary, the Friendly's 1500 calorie sandwich sounds disgusting and impractical. It would be difficult to eat and would not be satisfying.
Evo said:
There was some nasty glaze on the skin which I threw away first, then realized it might have been the only edible part of the chicken.

And I *love* their fried chicken, the extra cripsy has enough grease to send my gall bladder into seizures, but worth it once a year.

Your KFC must get their chicken from a good source. Our local one has the worst quality chicken you can imagine. In fact it was a particularly gross KFC meal that pushed my daughter to try being vegan for a while.

Typically, chicken I've seen from there has a strange wet texture, lots of fat, and broken bones (disturbing). I don't buy there anymore.

Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
Your KFC must get their chicken from a good source. Our local one has the worst quality chicken you can imagine. In fact it was a particularly gross KFC meal that pushed my daughter to try being vegan for a while.

Typically, chicken I've seen from there has a strange wet texture, lots of fat, and broken bones (disturbing). I don't buy there anymore.

I think KFC used to be better than it is now. Every once in a while (maybe once a year), I crave a piece of extra crispy chicken, but when I get it, it never seems crispy at all, just really greasy. Though, I had one of those cravings recently, and instead of getting the leg and thigh that I usually get (the white meat is always too dried out for my taste, in spite of all the grease it soaks in), I tried the extra crispy chicken strips. Those were pretty good. Not as greasy.

I'm hungry.

Thanks, Jimmy.

jimmy said:
Fresh Chicken Marinated with: Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Monosodium Glutamate Seasoned with: Maltodextrin, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Chicken Fat, Chicken Broth, Autolyzed Yeast, Beef Powder, Rendered Beef Fat, Extractives of Turmeric, Dehydrated Carrot, Onion Powder, and Not More Than 2% Each of Calcium Silicate and Silicon Dioxide Added as Anticaking Agents. Contains Wheat and Soy.

Monosodium glutamate, natural flavor, and autolyzed yeast are all ways to get free glutamates into you. They are not bound, so that your body could metabolize them slowly or let them pass through, like from natural sources like beets, mushrooms, etc. They hit me like a line-backer. A couple of bites of that would land me in the ER in anaphylactic shock. Maltodextrin and "beef powder" are probably both additional sources. When you boil proteins (plant or animal) in acid and then neutralize them in lye to extract glutamates, that is not really "natural" in any sense.

I had to stop eating Kentucky Fried Chicken in college before I even realized that I had a medical problem with free glutamates that nailed me hard 20 years later. Even 40 years ago, the Colonel had discovered that he could pile on the glutamates and increase sales. I found out in college that cramps, body aches and diarrhea after eating the Colonel's chicken were regular and predictable and were not a result of food-poisoning. My own cooking never did that to me, and I cooked a LOT of chicken.

turbo-1 said:
A couple of bites of that would land me in the ER in anaphylactic shock.
I thought you said it made your blood pressure go up?

Evo said:
I thought you said it made your blood pressure go up?
Nope. That's fragrance chemicals. MSG makes my blood pressure drop until the bottom reading may not even be readable. In one case, there were two ER nurses screaming at the doctor to load me with epinephrine NOW. When you are dying and unresponsive, you can still hear, and the words "we're losing him" don't sit well with me to this day.

turbo-1 said:
Nope. That's fragrance chemicals. MSG makes my blood pressure drop until the bottom reading may not even be readable. In one case, there were two ER nurses screaming at the doctor to load me with epinephrine NOW. When you are dying and unresponsive, you can still hear, and the words "we're losing him" don't sit well with me to this day.

This is really deep. I'm sorry to hear that you experienced this!