Killing a virus by cooling

In summary, there is no cure currently available for viruses or bacteria using heat. However, this is being used successfully to cure Lyme Disease, a bacterial disease transmitted by ticks.
Geo212
As I understand it, a virus like HIV for example cannot survive more than a few degrees below normal body temperature. Is it possible, therefore, to reduce the whole body core temperature, under controlled conditions, to well below the virus survival threshold temperature, thereby killing the virus?

Biology news on Phys.org
This is not my area, but virus particles are not alive. Most virologists I've met think of them as a complex set of chemicals that interact with living cells. They are very much on the edge between things clearly living and globs of organic molecules.

And yes, there are surgical procedures that have been used to reduce body temperature during long complex surgical procedures. They have risk.

Viruses can be purified and turned into a crystalline solid, or suspended in solution. It is in this state (called in vitro) when viruses can be denatured (your term for killed).

Most purified viruses cannot stand sunlight either. Because UV light damages them. Someone with definitive knowledge in this area can give you a detailed answer.

Decreasing the body temperature will make the virus dormant (inactive) but will not kill it.
Low temp. will kill it only when it is outside the cell or in environment.

Geo212 said:
As I understand it, a virus like HIV for example cannot survive more than a few degrees below normal body temperature.
Have you a cite for that, as I doubt it is correct. I believe the HIV virus has been shown to survive on surfaces at room temperature for hours, at least.

I have long wondered why there is no available treatment using heat to kill viruses or bacteria in vivo. Recently I heard that heat treatment is being used successfully to effect a cure of apparently hopeless cases of Lyme (or Lyme-like) Disease, a bacterial disease transmitted by ticks. (I presume the blood is circulated through external heaters and the temperature closely controlled, and this probably under general anaesthetic.)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/german-clinic-offer-cure-for-desperate-australians-struck-down-with-lyme-disease/story-fngr8hax-1227025509879 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

While it is true that some viruses, like HIV, are sensitive to changes in temperature, simply lowering the body's core temperature to a level where the virus cannot survive is not a feasible solution for killing the virus. This is because the human body has many vital functions that rely on maintaining a stable core temperature, and lowering it to such a low level would be dangerous and potentially deadly.

Furthermore, viruses are complex organisms that have evolved to adapt to various environmental conditions, including temperature changes. While some viruses may not be able to survive at extremely low temperatures, others may have mechanisms in place to protect themselves and continue to thrive.

Instead of relying on extreme measures like lowering the body's core temperature, the most effective way to combat viruses is through proper medical treatment and prevention methods such as vaccines. These methods target the virus directly and have been scientifically proven to be effective in controlling and eliminating viral infections.

What is the concept behind killing a virus by cooling?

The concept behind killing a virus by cooling is that low temperatures can slow down or halt the growth and reproduction of viruses, ultimately leading to their death. This is because viruses are sensitive to temperature and require a certain level of warmth to thrive.

How does cooling affect the structure and function of a virus?

Cooling can affect the structure and function of a virus in several ways. Firstly, it can cause the virus to become more rigid and less flexible, making it difficult for the virus to attach and infect cells. Secondly, cooling can also disrupt the protective protein coat of the virus, making it more vulnerable to destruction by the body's immune system or other treatments.

Is cooling an effective method for killing all types of viruses?

Cooling can be effective in killing some types of viruses, but it may not work for all viruses. Some viruses, such as those that cause the common cold, are able to survive and replicate at lower temperatures. Additionally, some viruses may have evolved to withstand cooler temperatures and may not be as affected by cooling as others.

What is the ideal temperature range for killing viruses by cooling?

The ideal temperature range for killing viruses by cooling is between 2-8 degrees Celsius. This is because most viruses cannot survive or replicate at temperatures below 2 degrees Celsius, and temperatures above 8 degrees Celsius may not be cold enough to effectively kill the virus.

Are there any potential risks or side effects of using cooling to kill viruses?

While cooling can be an effective method for killing viruses, there are some potential risks and side effects to consider. For example, cooling the body too much can lead to hypothermia, which can be dangerous. Additionally, some viruses may become more resistant to cooling over time, making this method less effective in the long run.