Killing Osama morally justifiable?

• Thread starter AlephZero
  • Start date
If we substitute the name Charles Manson for Bin Laden - the descriptive word changes from morals to insanity. IMO - the two are very similar in that they both convinced other people to blindly do their killing.

Is it insanely right to kill him?

Sorry think I've missed the point of this.

If he is 'insane', it doesn't change things. There's still a question of "is it morally right" and you still need to choose a moral basis (whether your own or someone elses).

Is it insanely right to kill him?

Sorry think I've missed the point of this.

If he is 'insane', it doesn't change things. There's still a question of "is it morally right" and you still need to choose a moral basis (whether your own or someone elses).

Would it have been better to lock him in a cell for the rest of his life - perhaps? IMO - the chance of him influencing someone else to kill would have been greater - if he was able to hire a lawyer and testify in a US courtroom.

Would it have been better to lock him in a cell for the rest of his life - perhaps?

Again, whose morals? There are those against the death penalty, those for it. Which way do you want to go?
IMO - the chance of him influencing someone else to kill would have been greater - if he was able to hire a lawyer and testify in a US courtroom.

That's not really a moral issue.

Again, whose morals? There are those against the death penalty, those for it. Which way do you want to go?

Was it better for Bin Laden to die or be locked in a cage for the next 30 years - there's no indication he tried to surrender - I can only conclude he preferred death.

Was it better for Bin Laden to die or be locked in a cage for the next 30 years - there's no indication he tried to surrender - I can only conclude he preferred death.

Apparently, according to the papers he did prefer death. But that's a non-issue here.

There are a lot of people who think it was morally wrong to kill him. There are a lot of people who think he should rot in jail.

This is why we go with law, not moral beliefs.

Morals are personal things. Your morals =/= my morals.

Same goes for ethics.

You are looking at this as if there is one correct view of right and wrong. This just isn't the case.

Quite right. The concept of morality is purely subjective. Asking whether or not something is moral is meaningless and silly.

Apparently, according to the papers he did prefer death. But that's a non-issue here.

There are a lot of people who think it was morally wrong to kill him. There are a lot of people who think he should rot in jail.

This is why we go with law, not moral beliefs.

From Bin Laden's moral point of view (possibly KSM as well) it is morally wrong to lock them in a cage - they prefer to die (apparently)? If a prisoner (who will never be freed) wants to die - why should we not honor their wishes?

If a prisoner (who will never be freed) wants to die - why should we not honor their wishes?

I have a friend who is strongly opposed to the death penalty. Her moral view on the issue is that it is giving them the easy way out and it shouldn't be available (it isn't in Britain where we are). They should serve the sentence they are given as punishment.

And why should we honour Bin Ladens moral opinion over that of someone else? Why is his suddenly the one we should go with?

Can you see the point I'm trying to make regarding the question of morality?

I have a friend who is strongly opposed to the death penalty. Her moral view on the issue is that it is giving them the easy way out and it shouldn't be available (it isn't in Britain where we are). They should serve the sentence they are given as punishment.

And why should we honour Bin Ladens moral opinion over that of someone else? Why is his suddenly the one we should go with?

Can you see the point I'm trying to make regarding the question of morality?

I understand your point. I'm just glad he's dead - NEXT!

AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
From your post, it sounds like you aren't interested in the question "Was killing Osama morally justifiable", but are instead interested in a question more like "Is taking military action on foreign soil morally justifiable?" Could you clarify your intent?

I guess the intent was to start a discussion of some of the issures raised in the broadcast.

But judging from the posts so far, I don't see any evidence that anybody actually took the time to listen to it.

But judging from the posts so far, I don't see any evidence that anybody actually took the time to listen to it.

Regardless of the issue, my posts regarding morality stand.

I guess the intent was to start a discussion of some of the issures raised in the broadcast.

Admittedly, we've strayed a bit - would you care to guide us back on-track?

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can't reasonably expect someone to spend 45 minutes of their life without even knowing what topic you are actually interested in!

As for me personally, there's an extra factor: I despise listening to recordings (especially videos) for these sorts of things -- I would feel like I've wasted 45 minutes of my life receiving content that I could have (more easily and clearly!) gotten through 5-10 minutes of reading if it was presented as such.

Also, since you didn't provide direction at the beginning, the thread did as threads naturally do -- people supply their own topics. It was clear from the opening post that was going to happen, which is why I tried to prompt you to to provide that direction.

I'm still waiting for an answer from the OP regarding whose morals we are using and why it should be those ones, and thus answering the question by itself.

Or does the thread title have nothing to do with the content of that video?

Evo
Mentor
This is not productive. Closed.