Kinematic Equation Questions - Ball Verticle Height

In summary, to find the length of time for which the ball is 3m or more above the ground, you can use the kinematic equation v² = u² + 2as to find the initial speed of the ball when it is 3m above the ground. Then, you can use the equation s = ut + 0.5at² to find the time it takes for the ball to reach a velocity of zero and use this time to solve for the final velocity using the equation v = u + at. To calculate the speed with which the ball hits the ground, you can use the equation s = ut + 0.5at² with a final position of 0 and an initial velocity of -
thomas49th

Homework Statement

A bell is thrown vertically upwards with speed 10m/s from a point 2 m above horizontal ground.
a) calculate the length of time for which the ball is 3m or more above the ground

Homework Equations

kinematic ones

The Attempt at a Solution

We I wanted to find the intial speed of the ball when it is 3 metres above the ground

i used v² = u² + 2as

and found u to be about 10.936

now do i need to find how high the ball goes from 3m above the ground to having a velocity of zero? I got 314/93. Once i find this i can I then use this in the s= ut + 0.5at² equation.

4.9t² + 10t - (314/53) = 0

I tried and i got a final answer of -1.86 when the answer in the book is 1.83

Have I done the right steps?

Thanks
Tom

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The initial speed IS 10 m/s. A way to approach the problem is to have the displacement above ground relative to your initial displacement.

this intial speed of the ball at 2m is 10 but at 3 m it's 10.936 i thinnk

i used v² = u² + 2as

v = sqrt(100+2(9.8)(1))
= 10.936
is that the right thing to do?

never mind. i managed to solve part a in the end. I'm now stuck on part b

b) Calculate the speed with which the ball hits the ground.

So first of all calculate the parabola bit from 2 metres to it's greatest height then back to 2m so the overall displacement (s) is 0

use s = ut + 0.5at²
0 = 10t + 0.5(9.8)t²
t(10+4.9t)
so t = 0 or t = -(100/49)

then work out the last bit of the journey below the 2meters?

I'm not sure what to do. Can someone guide me through it step by step

the answer is 11.8s in the answer booklet

Thx

Things are easier if you keep your directions consistent. u is 10m/sec UPWARDS. g is 9.8m/sec^2 DOWNWARDS. So I would write s=t*10m/sec+(1/2)*(-9.8m/sec^2)t^2. Now if s=0 is 2m above the ground, the ground is located at s=(-2). Find t at s=(-2).

thomas49th said:
never mind. i managed to solve part a in the end. I'm now stuck on part b

b) Calculate the speed with which the ball hits the ground.

So first of all calculate the parabola bit from 2 metres to it's greatest height then back to 2m so the overall displacement (s) is 0

use s = ut + 0.5at²
0 = 10t + 0.5(9.8)t²
t(10+4.9t)
so t = 0 or t = -(100/49)

then work out the last bit of the journey below the 2meters?

I'm not sure what to do. Can someone guide me through it step by step

the answer is 11.8s in the answer booklet

Thx

The only difference between t0, when the ball was headed upward, and it's speed when it passed the 2m mark in the downward direction is the sign. Your initial speed is -10 m/s instead of +10 m/s. You know your final position is 0. Calculate the time it takes to go from 2m to 0, then solve for your final velocity using v=u + at

1. What are the kinematic equations used for?

The kinematic equations are used to solve problems involving motion, specifically in one or two dimensions. They relate an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. What are the three main kinematic equations?

The three main kinematic equations are:
1. Δx = v0t + (1/2)at2
2. v = v0 + at
3. v2 = v02 + 2aΔx
where Δx is displacement, v0 is initial velocity, v is final velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

3. How do you solve for the vertical height of a ball using kinematic equations?

To solve for the vertical height of a ball using kinematic equations, you would need to know the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. You can then use the equation Δx = v0t + (1/2)at2 and plug in the known values to solve for the displacement, which is the vertical height of the ball.

4. Can kinematic equations be used for any type of motion?

No, kinematic equations are specifically designed for motion in a straight line, either in one or two dimensions. They cannot be used for circular or rotational motion.

5. What are the units for the variables in kinematic equations?

The units for the variables in kinematic equations are:
- Δx (displacement): meters (m)
- v0 (initial velocity) and v (final velocity): meters per second (m/s)
- a (acceleration): meters per second squared (m/s2)
- t (time): seconds (s)
It is important to keep track of units when using kinematic equations to ensure correct calculations.