Kinematic -- If object in 5th and 6th sec passes 20

• Thread starter alexstrasuz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the conversation discusses an object that starts to move with equal acceleration and passes 20m between the 5th and 6th second. The equation s=v0*t+a*t*t/2 is used to find the acceleration, but the value of v0=0 cannot be used as the object has already been accelerating for 5 seconds. The conversation also mentions using the equation S=ut+0.5at^2 to solve for the acceleration.
alexstrasuz

Homework Statement

Object from state of inaction starts to move with equal acceleration. If objec in 5th and 6th sec passes 20, what's acceleration.

Homework Equations

s=v0*t+a*t*t/2 v0=0

The Attempt at a Solution

s=a*t*t/2
a=s/2
a=10

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use "v0=0" because at "v0" the object has already been accelerating for 5 seconds.

Does the object covered 20m distance between 5sec. and 6sec. of the journey?
During the start of journey
u=0.Let the acceleration be a then after 5 sec. the velocity of the object=5a(using v=u+at)
For the motion of object between 5sec. and 6sec.---
u=5a,S=20m(given),t=1sec.
Using S=ut+0.5at^2 Equation
20=5a+0.5a.Find the value of a to get the answer.

In case you want a quick summary on the topic on Kinematics, here's a good resource:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathanael said:
You can't use "v0=0" because at "v0" the object has already been accelerating for 5 seconds.
I don't know what you mean by "at v0". At t= 0, the object is just starting to accelerate with initial speed v0= 0 so this formula can be used to find the distances at t= 5 and t= 6.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't know what you mean by "at v0". At t= 0, the object is just starting to accelerate with initial speed v0= 0 so this formula can be used to find the distances at t= 5 and t= 6.

By "at v0" I meant the "v0" that the OP was using in his equations. (I wanted to keep it as simple as possible because he didn't seem to be a native english speaker.)

If you look at his equations then you can see he assumed "(Δ)t=1" and "s=20" which means he created his equation to describe the time interval from t=5 to t=6.

That is why I said he can't use v0=0, because HIS "v0" is not 0(You can certainly solve the problem using v0=0 but my comment was on the method that he attacked the problem with.)

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, including their position, velocity, and acceleration, without considering the cause of the motion.

What does it mean if an object in the 5th and 6th second passes 20?

This means that the object has covered a distance of 20 units in the time interval between the 5th and 6th seconds. It indicates the object's speed or velocity during that time period.

What is the equation for calculating speed?

The equation for calculating speed is speed = distance / time. It is represented by the unit meters per second (m/s).

How can we determine the direction of an object's motion using kinematics?

The direction of an object's motion can be determined by analyzing the object's displacement over a specific time interval. If the displacement is positive, the object is moving in a positive direction, and if it is negative, the object is moving in a negative direction.

What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement with respect to time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, velocity measures how fast an object is moving, while acceleration measures how quickly the velocity is changing.