Kinematics and finding acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the launch of a weather rocket with a constant acceleration for 18 seconds, followed by the motor stopping. The rocket's altitude after 26 seconds is given as 5800m and the question is what was the acceleration during the first 18 seconds. The relevant equations are provided and the final solution involves solving for the acceleration using the height and time values.
JohnCy

Homework Statement

A weather rocket is launched straight upwards. The motor provides a constant acceleration for
18s, then the motor stops. The rocket altitude after 26s after launch is 5800m. What was the rocket's acceleration during the first 18 seconds?

Homework Equations

[ tex ]x = x_0 + v_0 t + (1/2) a t^2
[/tex]
[ tex]v = v_0 + a t
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This answer doesn't seem right to me. I wasn't confident working it out.

5800=.5(a)(18)^2-(.5)(9.81)(8)^2
162a=5800+313.92
162a=6113.92
a=37.7

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to include the initial velocity of the rocket during the second part of the trip with the motor stopped.

I don't know the velocity at 18 seconds. All the initial values are given, they are all zero. The only intermediate value given is 18 seconds. That's why I'm having a difficult time, I'm not sure how to handle all the unknowns. I'm trying to draw some equations from the three graphs I drew but some of the equations don't make sense. Thank you for your reply.

JohnCy said:
I don't know the velocity at 18 seconds.time
you can use your 2nd relevant equation , where v in that equation after 18 s becomes v_o in your first relevant equation . You will have to leave a as unknown, then solve.

Let the "constant acceleration" while the rocket engine is firing be "a". Then the height when the engine stops firing, from s= (a/2)t^2, is (a/2)(18)^2= 162a meters and its speed is 18a meters per second. After that, we have only the acceleration due to gravity: h= 162a+ 18a(t- 18)- 4.9(t- 18)^2. (Do you see why "t- 18"?) Set t= 26 s, h= 5800 m and solve for a.

Thanks for both your help guys. I've been doing physics for all of three weeks now and it doesn't seem to be getting easier. Sorry for the messy equations. I tried to use latex but apparently it didn't work. Thanks again!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in space and time.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the average velocity, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the slope of the velocity-time graph at a specific point.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If an object is accelerating, its velocity is changing in either speed or direction. The direction of acceleration is the same as the direction of the net force acting on the object, according to Newton's second law of motion.

5. Can an object have constant speed but changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but changing acceleration. This happens when the object is moving in a curved path, such as a circle, where its speed remains the same but its direction changes, resulting in a changing acceleration.