Kinematics: baseball toss with an angle provided

In summary, the ball is thrown with an angle of 45° at an initial speed of .5 in order to have the same distance traveled with one bounce as a ball thrown upward at 45° with no bounce.
MisterAvocadoMan

Homework Statement

An outfielder throws a baseball to his catcher in an attempt to throw out a runner at home plate. The ball bounces once before reaching the catcher. Assume the angle at which the bounced ball leaves the ground is the same as the angle at which the outfielder threw it as shown in the figure below, but that the ball's speed after the bounce is one-half of what it was before the bounce.
(a) Assume the ball is always thrown with the same initial speed and ignore air resistance. At what angle θ should the fielder throw the ball to make it go the same distance D with one bounce as a ball thrown upward at 45.0° with no bounce?

Homework Equations

I'm not entirely certain on this, but I feel I should be using general kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well to start with I separated the one bounce ball to be ##x_a## and the no bounce ball to be ##x_b##. ##x_a## has ##x_1## and ##x_2## which are the distance to the bounce and then the remaining distance. I set ##x_1 = V_0 cos(\theta)T_1## and ##x_2 = 1/2 V_0 cos(\theta) T_2## then with ##x_1 + x_2 = x_a## I had to figure out what ##x_a## is which I determined via ##x_a = V_0 cos(45°) T ## which then becomes$$x_a = \frac {\sqrt 2V_0 T }2 $$
With that I get $$\frac {\sqrt 2 V_0 T }2 = V_0 cos(\theta)T_1 + \frac 1 2 V_0 cos(\theta) T_2$$
From there I factor ##V_0## and ##cos(\theta)## out of the right side of the equations to get $$\frac {\sqrt 2 V_0 T }2 = V_0 cos(\theta)(T_1 + \frac 1 2 T_2)$$ and this is about where I start to get stumped. I determined ##T## to be $$T = \frac {2 V_0 sin(\theta)} {g}$$ by rearranging the kinematic equation ##y-y_0 = TV_0 - \frac 1 2 g t^2## to solve for ##T## and assuming that ##y## and ##y_0## are both equal to 0 since it is pitched from the origin and lands on the ground at the end. With that plugged into the equation I get $$\frac {\sqrt 2 V_0}2 (\frac {2V_0 sin(\theta)} {g}) = V_0 cos(\theta)(T_1 + \frac 1 2 T_2)$$ Then I do some cancelling so it's not so complicated to get $$ \frac {\sqrt 2 V_0 sin(\theta)} {g} = cos(\theta)(T_1 + \frac 1 2 T_2)$$ And this is where I'm stuck. I don't know how to deal with ##T_1## and ##T_2## and I'm starting to think I may be way off base here. Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The times don't buy you much. I would find the range ##R## in terms of the initial speed for the 45o case and then apply the range equation twice for angle ##\theta## in the equation ##x_1+x_2=R##.

kuruman said:
The times don't buy you much. I would find the range ##R## in terms of the initial speed for the 45o case and then apply the range equation twice for angle ##\theta## in the equation ##x_1+x_2=R##.
Thank you so much for the reply. For some reason the ##R## equation wasn't covered in lecture and I must've overlooked it in the book somehow (we'll chalk that up to me being a dummy haha) I'll make an attempt with that, thank you again.

So following the instructions to use the ##R## equation, I get ##R_A = \frac {V_0^2} {g} sin(45*2)## and since ##sin(45*2) = sin(90)## which equals ##1## I get ##\frac {V_0^2} {g}## which will be the total distance ##D## of the ball toss since this was the range of the ball that doesn't bounce. So for the bounce ball will have two ranges, one being to the point of the first bounce ##R_1## and the other being the remaining distance ##R_2##. ##R_1## will be equal to $$R_1 = \frac {V_0^2} {g} sin(2\theta)$$ and ##R_2## will be equal to $$R_2 = \frac {(.5V_0)^2} {g} sin(2\theta)$$ Then with the idea that ##R_1 + R_2 = R_A## since ##R_A## is the full range of the toss, I can write $$\frac {V_0^2} {g} sin(2\theta) + \frac {(.5V_0)^2} {g} sin(2\theta) = \frac {V_0^2} {g}$$ From here I can do some factoring and square up the terms in the parentheses to get $$\frac {V_0^2} {g} sin(2\theta) (1+.25) = \frac {V_0^2} {g}$$ Which will be pretty easy to cancel from to get $$ sin(2\theta) = \frac {1} {1.25}$$ which should give me ##53.130^{\circ}## which I'll divide by ##2## to get ##26.6^{\circ}## which seems right for the answer. Thank you again for the guidance, it really helped me here.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of mechanics that studies the motion of objects without considering the cause of the motion.

2. How is kinematics related to a baseball toss?

Kinematics can be used to analyze the motion of a baseball during a toss, including its position, velocity, and acceleration.

3. What is the angle provided in a baseball toss?

The angle provided in a baseball toss is the angle at which the ball is thrown relative to the horizontal. It is typically measured in degrees.

4. How does the angle affect the trajectory of the ball in a baseball toss?

The angle of the baseball toss affects the trajectory of the ball by determining the vertical and horizontal components of the ball's velocity. A higher angle will result in a higher arc and a shorter distance, while a lower angle will result in a flatter trajectory and a longer distance.

5. What other factors besides the angle can affect the motion of a baseball during a toss?

Other factors that can affect the motion of a baseball during a toss include the initial velocity of the ball, the force applied by the player, air resistance, and the release point of the toss.