1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics and proportionality.

1. May 31, 2008 #1
    Hey, please take a look at this problem, it should be quite straight-forward but I want to know if I've reached the right conclusion.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves in a straight line with displacement s from some fixed point on the line and velocity v.

If v is proportional to sqrt(s), find the behaviour of the acceleration with s; and if v=0 when t=0, find how v depends on time.

3. The attempt at a solution

I put v = k*sqrt(s) and used a = v*dv/ds = k*sqrt(s)*(1/2)k*s^(-1/2) = (1/2)k^2. So it seems that the s disappears, and therefore the acceleration is constant. Is it correct to say this?

For the second part, I put dv/dt=(1/2)k^2 (the acceleration found above) and solved to give v(t) = (1/2)(k^2)t + c, and c=0 because v=0 when t=0. Hence my conclusion is that v varies with t, i.e. v and t are proportional. Is this right? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2008 #2
    If you let v=k[tex] \sqrt{s}[/tex], then the derivative with respect to s should be
    [tex]= \frac{k}{2 \sqrt{s}}[/tex]
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  4. May 31, 2008 #3
    But in the part of my post that you quoted, I'm not using s at all. I'm just taking the acceleration that I found in the 1st part, (1/2)k^2, and calling it dv/dt, and then solving that to give v in terms of t. Is it not right to say v and t are proportional?
  5. May 31, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.
    Again, looks good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?