1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics/calculating a line from a curve?

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "If only the variables D and t are used, what quantities should the student graph in order to produce a linear relationship between the two quantities?"

The data:
    distances (m): .1, .5, 1, 1.7, 2
    Time(s): .14, .32, .46, .59, .63

Basically, a student is dropping a ball from several points and recording how long the fall took from each point. They're trying to experimentally determine g. So the data yields a curve. The full problem is here, it's the first one after the reference sheet: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/public/repository/_ap06_frq_physicsb_fo_51783.pdf

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not exactly sure what the question is asking. Since the data gives a curve, but I need a line, The "quantities" they want are the end points of the line segment that approaches all the points in the curve the most, right? How do I get that?

I tried graphically, this is the best I could get:

But there's gotta be a math way to do it. Please help... :uhh:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Well you know that

D=ut+1/2at2 which simplifies to D=1/2gt2

You can plot appropriately to get a straight line.
  4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    I'm sorry to seem so dense but- what do you mean? what do I plot? D=1/2gt^2 is still a curve...
  5. Jan 19, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

If you make the equation into the form Y=MX+C and plot Y vs. X you will get a straight line. Put Y=D, what should X be to get a straight line?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook