Kinematics: Interesting problem (velocity as a function of distance)

In summary: Eg, for uniform circular motion,s = r·θv = r·θ'a = r·θ''In summary, the conversation revolved around a mathematical problem involving an object moving along a line according to a velocity equation. The main question was about finding the velocity and distance traveled at a specific time. The conversation also touched on the concept of velocity as the derivative of position, and how it can be expressed as a function of time or distance.
leden
I have spent a long time stuggling with an interesting problem which was set up by my brother some time ago:

Consider an object that starts moving along the line according to the equation below:
[tex]v(s)=1+{s}^{2}[/tex]
where s is the total distance traveled by the object and v is the velocity of the object as a function of the distance travelled. respectively.
Notice that the object starts moving at velocity 1 m/s and the velocity continuously increases as it travels.

The question is, what is the velocity of the object at some time t?
[tex]v(t)=?[/tex]
What is the distance traveled at some time t?
[tex]s(t)=?[/tex]

I would greatly appreciate if someone posted a detailed solution to the above problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi leden! Welcome to PF! :smile:
leden said:
I have spent a long time stuggling with an interesting problem which was set up by my brother some time ago:

I would greatly appreciate if someone posted a detailed solution to the above problem.

erm :redface: … that's not the way this forum works! :rofl:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hint: v = ds/dt. Set up the integral and solve for s(t) first.

tiny-tim said:
Hi leden! Welcome to PF! :smile:erm :redface: … that's not the way this forum works! :rofl:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

I am aware of that..
But the problem is that am not so much familiar with calculus and when it comes to physics I don't know what to do when integrating/differentiating some functions which is dependent on many variables...

The first things that bothers me is whether it is correct that
[tex]v(s)=ds/dt[/tex].
Ok, have tried the following...
[tex]v(s)=\frac{ds}{dt} = 1 + {s}^{2}[/tex]
[tex]ds=dt+{s}^{2}dt[/tex]
[tex]\int ds=\int dt + \int{s}^{2}dt[/tex]
[tex]s=t+\int{s}^{2}dt[/tex]
I don't know what to do know, because I'm going into cycles...

Last edited:

leden said:
Ok, have tryed the following...
[tex]v(s)=\frac{ds}{dt} = 1 + {s}^{2}[/tex]
OK.
[tex]ds=dt+{s}^{2}dt[/tex]
Nah... do this:

[tex]\frac{ds}{1 + {s}^{2}} = dt[/tex]

(Now you can integrate.)

Thanks,
let me try to solve now...
[tex]\frac{ds}{1+{s}^2}=dt[/tex]
[tex]\int\frac{ds}{1+{s}^2}=\int dt[/tex]

[tex]\arctan s=t[/tex]

[tex]s(t)=\tan t[/tex]

Now
[tex]v(t)=\frac{ds}{dt}=\frac{\tan t}{dt}=\frac{1}{{\cos}^{2}t}[/tex]

This is strange, because it seems that velocity is practically infinity at point t = pi/2.

Last edited:
leden said:
This is strange, because it seems that velocity is practically infinity at point t = pi/2.

So is s … what's strange about that? :smile:

OK but how is it possible that
[tex]

v(s)=\frac{ds}{dt}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
v(t)=\frac{ds}{dt}
[/tex]

Velocity, by the definition, is the first derivative of position, but as the function of time.
So you can't say that velocity as the function of position is also the first derivative of position.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that doesn't make any sense to me :)

Domestikus said:
OK but how is it possible that
[tex]

v(s)=\frac{ds}{dt}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
v(t)=\frac{ds}{dt}
[/tex]
I'm not seeing the problem. v ≡ ds/dt, which can be expressed as a function of time or of distance. So?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

3. How is velocity related to distance?

Velocity is the rate of change of distance with respect to time. In other words, it is the distance an object travels in a specific amount of time.

4. Can velocity be a function of distance?

Yes, velocity can be a function of distance. This means that the velocity of an object can change as it travels a certain distance.

5. How do you solve an interesting problem involving velocity as a function of distance?

To solve a problem involving velocity as a function of distance, you will need to use the basic kinematic equations, which relate velocity, distance, and time. You will also need to understand the concept of derivatives to determine the relationship between velocity and distance.