Kinematics- police driver acceleration problem

In summary, the police determined through their investigation that the driver was traveling at the speed limit of 80 km/h (22 m/s) when the brakes were applied. Using the kinematic relation v_{fx}^2 = v_{ox}^2 + 2as and the given distance of 150 m, it was determined that the acceleration of the vehicle was -1.61 m/s2. This means that the car was slowing down at a rate of 1.61 m/s every second. The negative sign indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the car's motion.
alicia113
In an accident investigation police measured the skidmarks left my vehicle. they measure the skidmarks to be 150 m from the point where the driver applied the brakes to where the car came to rest. In their investigation the police Sumat the driver was traveling at this bead limit of 80 km/h (22m/s) when the brakes were applied. Calculate the acceleration of the vehicle.

ok so i know acceleration is

d= delta v
----------
delta t

= vf - vi
-------
delta t

but because this question has no initial point. What do I use? Do I just started off as zero OR do I have to solve for something? can someone please help me. thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the kinematic relation [tex] v_{fx}^2 = v_{ox}^2 + 2as,[/tex] where [itex] v_{fx} = [/itex] final velocity of car after skid, [itex] v_{ox} = [/itex] velocity of car before skid and[itex]\,[/itex] [itex] s = [/itex] displacement.

Think about what this equation is saying: From the stage of the journey where the car was traveling at 80km/h to the stage of the journey where the car is at rest, it has covered a distance of 150m, and so we can determine it's acceleration using the above relation.

CAF123 said:
Consider the kinematic relation [tex] v_{fx}^2 = v_{ox}^2 + 2as,[/tex] where [itex] v_{fx} = [/itex] final velocity of car after skid, [itex] v_{ox} = [/itex] velocity of car before skid and[itex]\,[/itex] [itex] s = [/itex] displacement.

Think about what this equation is saying: From the stage of the journey where the car was traveling at 80km/h to the stage of the journey where the car is at rest, it has covered a distance of 150m, and so we can determine it's acceleration using the above relation.

ok so my s is 150m and my initial veloticy is 80km but i need to put that into m/s.. how do i find the final velocity?

The final velocity is given to you in the question. The words 'at rest' mean the car has halted to zero velocity.

ok so its just 0... so i just sub everything into the equaiton?

Yes. Notice the negative sign for acceleration. What does this mean?

because it is slowing down that's why it is negative

Yes, but to be a little bit more precise, if the car is defined to be moving in positive x direction and slowing down, then the acceleration vector would point in the negative x direction. Thus we get a 'negative acceleration' ( which is more precise than the word 'deceleration' used in everyday life)

Last edited:
ok so 80km/h is 22m/s

so..

0=22^2+2a(150)
0= 484+a300
-484=a300

------ = a

-1.61 = a is it still in m/s?

or should i have stuck with 80km... and i would of got -21.3 km/h (i think that's the units not ti sure)

It is always best to rearrange the equation for the given quantity required. (This does help in figuring out the units).

So the kinematic relation rearranged for [itex] a [/itex] yields [tex] a = \frac {v_{fx}^2 - v_{ox}^2}{2s}, [/tex]
If we replace each physical quantity with its units we end up with [tex] a= \frac{m^2/s^2}{m} [/tex] from which you see one [itex] m [/itex] cancels top and bottom to give m/s2 as the units.

However, having said that, with these sorts of quantities that we use 'all the time' in physics, they become second nature after a while. So this 'dimensional analysis', as it is called, is not required all the time, only when dealing with unfamiliar expressions.

The definition of acceleration is the change in velocity per unit time. So this -1.61 m/s2 means the car slows down at a rate of 1.61 m/s every second.

Last edited:

What is Kinematics and how does it relate to police driver acceleration?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the cause of the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects. In the context of a police driver acceleration problem, kinematics can be used to calculate the speed and acceleration of a police car while in pursuit.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in relation to police driver acceleration?

Speed is the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is the speed of an object in a specific direction. In the case of a police driver acceleration problem, speed refers to how fast the police car is moving, while velocity takes into account the direction of the car's motion.

How can acceleration be calculated in a police driver acceleration problem?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In a police driver acceleration problem, acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What factors can affect the acceleration of a police car in a pursuit situation?

Several factors can affect the acceleration of a police car, including the engine power, weight of the car, road conditions, and air resistance. Other factors such as the skill of the driver and the condition of the car's tires can also play a role in the car's acceleration.

How can kinematics be used to analyze the performance of a police car during a pursuit?

Kinematics can be used to calculate the speed, acceleration, and displacement of a police car during a pursuit. By analyzing this data, one can determine the effectiveness of the police car's performance, as well as identify any areas for improvement in the car's acceleration and overall performance.