What is the acceleration of an object with given forces and weight?

• Thread starter Smile101
  • Start date
In summary, the block will travel at a speed of 5 m/s due to the applied force of 15 N and the friction.
Smile101
Hey guys, I reallly don't understand how to do this question. i'd really appreciate it if you can help me..thanks :)

Homework Statement

A person applies a force of 15 N [E] on an object of weight 20 N. If the force of friction has a magnitude of 5.0 N, what is the acceleration of the object?
a) 7.5 m/s^2 [E]
b) 0.13 m/s^2 [E]
c) 0.50 m/s^2 [E]
d) 5.0 m/s^2 [E]
e) 10 m/s^2 [E]

Homework Equations

f=ma
fnet=fapp+Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

Weight= 20 N = F = Fg
Fapp= 15 N
Ff=5 N

Fnet= 15+5 = 20 N
I don't know what to do next ..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Friction opposes motion. So should you be adding the 5 N to 15 N? Or substracting?

Once you have the correct Fnet, then use Fnet = m * a. You get "m" from the weight.

Chrisas said:
Friction opposes motion. So should you be adding the 5 N to 15 N? Or substracting?

Once you have the correct Fnet, then use Fnet = m * a. You get "m" from the weight.

Yea i just realized that thanks..so it would be 15+(-5) = 10 N

But weight isn't only the mass, from what i know weight is equivalent to net force that's why it's measured in Newtons..that's where I'm getting confused!

oh btw the answer at the back of the textbook says d) 5m/s^2

Ohhhhhh nvm! i just realized what you meant!

20/9.8= 2.0kg

f=ma
10=2a
therefore a= 5m/s^2

Smile101 said:
Yea i just realized that thanks..so it would be 15+(-5) = 10 N

But weight isn't only the mass, from what i know weight is equivalent to net force that's why it's measured in Newtons..that's where I'm getting confused!

oh btw the answer at the back of the textbook says d) 5m/s^2

I agree with that answer. I'm assuming the applied force and friction is horizontal and that the block is moving horizontally. That means that the vertical forces are not affected by the horizontal forces. How is weight force defined? Like any other force it is F = mass * accel. However, the accel in this equation is not an acceleration due to motion but due to gravity. You should know what the acceleration of gravity is and you know what the force is. Solve for mass.

Edit: Yep you got it before I finished writing. Good Job!

1. What is kinematics and why is it important in science?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It is important in science because it allows us to describe and analyze the motion of objects in a quantitative manner, which is essential for understanding and predicting physical phenomena.

2. What are the key concepts in kinematics?

The key concepts in kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Displacement refers to the change in position of an object, velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, and time is the duration of an event.

3. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics and dynamics are two branches of classical mechanics. Kinematics deals with the description of motion, while dynamics deals with the forces that cause motion. In simpler terms, kinematics answers the question "what is happening?" while dynamics answers the question "why is it happening?"

4. What are the three equations of motion in kinematics?

The three equations of motion in kinematics are:

1. Displacement (Δx) = Initial velocity (v0) x Time (t) + 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)2
  2. Final velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) x Time (t)
  3. Displacement (Δx) = 1/2 x (Initial velocity + Final velocity) x Time (t)

5. How is kinematics used in real life applications?

Kinematics is used in many real-life applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of a car on a race track, calculating the trajectory of a projectile, and understanding the movement of celestial bodies. It is also used in fields such as robotics, sports, and animation to accurately simulate and predict motion.