1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics, work-energy, conservation, more, less?

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Rocket launched runs out of fuel after accelerating "for a short distance," coasts to a maximum altitude, then falls back. Known: rocket mass, max. altitude, g. Find velocity when rocket runs out of fuel.

2. Relevant equations
    There doesn't seem to be enough information to use kinematic eqs: no time for anything, no initial acceleration; only maximum height. We know the rocket force must be at least mg, but it's clearly more, since it coasts upwards.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Seems to need energy methods, but I can't see the way. E=K+U, but E=U (at top) doesn't equal E at bottom, where K and U are both zero. And what can we know about K+U at yfuelanyway? Do I need work, force? Do I need Wnonconservative=∆K+∆U? Does momentum enter this? I know that force changes from rocket to gravity at yfuel, but I'm not sure what to do with that. I could use a shove in the right direction.

If I try K1+U1=K2+U2 at y1=no fuel and y2=max. altitude, I just wind up with v2=2g(y2-y1), the kinematic eq., and I have two unknowns. I need another expression with one of these variables in it. Momentum? Kinematics? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

If you know the max altitude you know a lot don't you?

Vi2 = 2*g*x

since you know the max altitude is where vf = 0

The only thing off is the "very short distance".

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3
    Hello and thank you. Yes. y2 = ymax does tell me a lot, but I don't see what resources I have to determine either a) the distance y1 is above the ground = y0 or b) what time the rocket ran out of fuel. I do see that v2 and v0= 0 and that v12 = -2g(y2-y1). Are you saying there is a way to determine y1?

5. Jun 14, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The problem statement says short distance.

If you have Δy << y, and v2 = 2*g*y

then I'd say (y/(y-Δy))1/2 ≈ 1

6. Jun 14, 2009 #5
    Great. Got it.
    When the problem said "Assume it was not far from the surface [of the moon] at that time [when it ran out of fuel]," I thought the point might have been to use mgMOON, rather than GmRmM/r2, but I'm happy to know that there isn't a way to find an actual value from the information given.
    Many thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook