Kinematics, work-energy, conservation, more, less?

In summary, the problem involves a rocket launched with known mass and acceleration for a short distance, followed by coasting to a maximum altitude before falling back. The goal is to determine the velocity when the rocket runs out of fuel. Using energy methods and the fact that the rocket reaches a maximum altitude, it is possible to determine the velocity at that point. However, there is not enough information given to determine the initial velocity or the time at which the rocket runs out of fuel.
barrylwires

Homework Statement

Rocket launched runs out of fuel after accelerating "for a short distance," coasts to a maximum altitude, then falls back. Known: rocket mass, max. altitude, g. Find velocity when rocket runs out of fuel.

Homework Equations

There doesn't seem to be enough information to use kinematic eqs: no time for anything, no initial acceleration; only maximum height. We know the rocket force must be at least mg, but it's clearly more, since it coasts upwards.

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems to need energy methods, but I can't see the way. E=K+U, but E=U (at top) doesn't equal E at bottom, where K and U are both zero. And what can we know about K+U at yfuelanyway? Do I need work, force? Do I need Wnonconservative=∆K+∆U? Does momentum enter this? I know that force changes from rocket to gravity at yfuel, but I'm not sure what to do with that. I could use a shove in the right direction.

If I try K1+U1=K2+U2 at y1=no fuel and y2=max. altitude, I just wind up with v2=2g(y2-y1), the kinematic eq., and I have two unknowns. I need another expression with one of these variables in it. Momentum? Kinematics? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
barrylwires said:

Homework Statement

Rocket launched runs out of fuel after accelerating "for a short distance," coasts to a maximum altitude, then falls back. Known: rocket mass, max. altitude, g. Find velocity when rocket runs out of fuel.

Homework Equations

There doesn't seem to be enough information to use kinematic eqs: no time for anything, no initial acceleration; only maximum height. We know the rocket force must be at least mg, but it's clearly more, since it coasts upwards.

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems to need energy methods, but I can't see the way. E=K+U, but E=U (at top) doesn't equal E at bottom, where K and U are both zero. And what can we know about K+U at yfuelanyway? Do I need work, force? Do I need Wnonconservative=∆K+∆U? Does momentum enter this? I know that force changes from rocket to gravity at yfuel, but I'm not sure what to do with that. I could use a shove in the right direction.

If I try K1+U1=K2+U2 at y1=no fuel and y2=max. altitude, I just wind up with v2=2g(y2-y1), the kinematic eq., and I have two unknowns. I need another expression with one of these variables in it. Momentum? Kinematics? Thanks.

Welcome to PF.

If you know the max altitude you know a lot don't you?

Vi2 = 2*g*x

since you know the max altitude is where vf = 0

The only thing off is the "very short distance".

Hello and thank you. Yes. y2 = ymax does tell me a lot, but I don't see what resources I have to determine either a) the distance y1 is above the ground = y0 or b) what time the rocket ran out of fuel. I do see that v2 and v0= 0 and that v12 = -2g(y2-y1). Are you saying there is a way to determine y1?

barrylwires said:
Hello and thank you. Yes. y2 = ymax does tell me a lot, but I don't see what resources I have to determine either a) the distance y1 is above the ground = y0 or b) what time the rocket ran out of fuel. I do see that v2 and v0= 0 and that v12 = -2g(y2-y1). Are you saying there is a way to determine y1?

The problem statement says short distance.

If you have Δy << y, and v2 = 2*g*y

then I'd say (y/(y-Δy))1/2 ≈ 1

Great. Got it.
When the problem said "Assume it was not far from the surface [of the moon] at that time [when it ran out of fuel]," I thought the point might have been to use mgMOON, rather than GmRmM/r2, but I'm happy to know that there isn't a way to find an actual value from the information given.
Many thanks!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion without considering the causes of motion (i.e. forces). It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects and how they change over time.

2. What is work-energy?

Work-energy is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between work (the transfer of energy) and energy (the ability to do work). It states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

3. What is conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

4. How does more mass affect kinematics and work-energy?

More mass will result in a larger inertia, meaning that the object will require more force to change its state of motion. This also means that more work is required to change the object's kinetic energy, as it has more mass to accelerate.

5. How does less mass affect kinematics and work-energy?

Less mass will result in a smaller inertia, meaning that the object will require less force to change its state of motion. This also means that less work is required to change the object's kinetic energy, as it has less mass to accelerate.