Conservation of Momentum With Changing Mass

In summary, the problem involves a rocket starting at rest with mass M and ejecting exhaust at a given speed u. The question asks for the mass of the rocket (including unused fuel) when its momentum and energy are at their maximum values. The rocket equation, p=mv, and the concept of change in momentum being equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the change in momentum of the fuel are relevant to solving this problem. Researching the rocket equation and its applications may provide further insight into solving the problem.
Fascheue

Homework Statement

[/B]
A rocket that starts at rest with mass M ejects exhaust at a given speed u. What is the mass of the rocket (including unused fuel) when its momentum is maximum? What is the mass when its energy is maximum?

Homework Equations

[/B]
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I’m not really sure to start with this one. I know that the change in momentum of the rocket is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the change in momentum of the fuel. I’d imagine I will also be looking for when dp/dt is equal to 0 to find the maximum momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fascheue said:
I’d imagine I will also be looking for when dp/dt is equal to 0 to find the maximum momentum.
You will have to do the math to figure out when the momentum is maximum. Are you given the mass of the fuel too, or just the total M?

You may have a larger momentum before all the fuel is used up, since the momentum and energy depend on the mass of the rocket plus unused fuel...

Likes Fascheue
Fascheue said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A rocket that starts at rest with mass M ejects exhaust at a given speed u. What is the mass of the rocket (including unused fuel) when its momentum is maximum? What is the mass when its energy is maximum?

Homework Equations

[/B]
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I’m not really sure to start with this one. I know that the change in momentum of the rocket is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the change in momentum of the fuel. I’d imagine I will also be looking for when dp/dt is equal to 0 to find the maximum momentum.

Google "rocket equation" for related material.

Likes Fascheue and berkeman
Ray Vickson said:
Google "rocket equation" for related material.

9db5b4589ff9a385687c2474c5aef823eeece133

Should I be using this equation? I’m not quite sure how I can do that without knowing what Δv is when momentum is at its maximum value.

Fascheue said:
9db5b4589ff9a385687c2474c5aef823eeece133

Should I be using this equation? I’m not quite sure how I can do that without knowing what Δv is when momentum is at its maximum value.

That is not what I meant. If you Google "rocket equation" you should find entire articles or lectures on the topic, where the author writes out the differential equations of motion in detail, and then eventually solves them. The derivations are likely to be more useful than a single formula such as the one you wrote above, because your question requires that you know the velocity and the mass of the rocket at each point in time, in order to allow you to maximize the rocket's momentum.

Likes Fascheue and berkeman
I used the equation V = uln(M/M-m) where M is the initial mass and m is the mass of the projectile. I then got P = (M-m)uln(M/M-m) by multiplying each side by the total mass of the rocket. I then found the derivative with respect to m and am now trying to find where it is equal to zero.So far I have this, but I’m not quite sure how to solve it (if it’s even right).

2ln(M/(M-m) = (M+m)/(M^2-Mm)

Fascheue said:
I used the equation V = uln(M/M-m) where M is the initial mass and m is the mass of the projectile. I then got P = (M-m)uln(M/M-m) by multiplying each side by the total mass of the rocket. I then found the derivative with respect to m and am now trying to find where it is equal to zero.So far I have this, but I’m not quite sure how to solve it (if it’s even right).

2ln(M/(M-m) = (M+m)/(M^2-Mm)
Could you please show your work in detail so we can check it? Also, it helps if you post in LaTeX so the math symbols are more traditional instead of us trying to decode a clear text version of your math work. There is a LaTeX tutorial under INFO at the top of the page when you click on Help/How-To. Thanks. :smile:

EDIT / ADD -- Also, if you could post a link to the rocket equation that you found via Google, that would help to keep us all on the same page. Thanks.

1. How does conservation of momentum apply to systems with changing mass?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This applies to systems with changing mass as well, as long as the mass changes internally and there are no external forces involved. This means that the total momentum of the system before and after the change in mass will be the same.

2. What are some examples of systems with changing mass that follow the conservation of momentum?

One example is a rocket launching into space. As the rocket burns fuel and loses mass, its velocity increases in order to maintain the same momentum. Another example is a skateboarder jumping off a ramp. As the skateboarder crouches down and then extends their legs to jump, their mass decreases but their velocity increases, again maintaining the same momentum.

3. How does changing mass affect the momentum of an object?

As mentioned before, if the mass changes internally and there are no external forces, the momentum of the object will remain constant. This means that as the mass decreases, the velocity will increase and vice versa. However, if there are external forces involved, the momentum may change due to the change in mass as well as the external force.

4. What happens to the momentum of a system if there is a change in mass and an external force acting on it?

In this situation, the momentum of the system will not remain constant. Both the change in mass and the external force will affect the momentum of the system. The final momentum will depend on the magnitude and direction of the external force, as well as the change in mass.

5. How does conservation of momentum with changing mass relate to real-life situations?

Conservation of momentum with changing mass is evident in many real-life situations, such as rocket launches, car accidents, and sports. In these situations, the change in mass and velocity of objects can affect the overall momentum of the system. Understanding this principle can help scientists and engineers make accurate predictions and calculations in these scenarios.