Kinetic and gravitational potential energy and velocity

In summary, when a 2.0kg watermelon falls from a tree house that is 5.4m above the ground, its speed just before hitting the ground is 10.3 m/s. This can be calculated using either the equation Δh = (vi^2 - vf^2)/2g or by finding the gravitational potential energy (Eg = mgΔh) and assuming it is converted entirely into kinetic energy (Ek = 1/2mv^2). The speed of a 0.45kg cantaloupe hitting a branch at 6.3m/s can be used to calculate the height of the branch, which is 3.4m above the ground.
pbonnie

Homework Statement

A watermelon with a mass of 2.0kg falls out of a tree house that is 5.4m above the ground. What is the speed of the watermelon just before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

Δh = (vi^2 - vf^2)/2g
Eg = mgΔh
Ek = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried two different attempts at this one. The first involves rearranging the first equation to solve for the final velocity, since the watermelon is falling out of the tree fort I assume the initial velocity is 0.

On my actual answer I would show the calculations, but I got the answer v = 10.3 m/s

My other attempt (which I'm not sure actually applies to this) is to figure out the gravitational potential energy, and then assume that because the watermelon is hitting the ground that all of that energy would be converted into kinetic energy, so then I could solve for velocity.
Doing this, I got the same answer. So I could use either method?

Physics news on Phys.org
pbonnie said:
Yes, both methods are equivalent. If you express them mathematically, you'll end up with the same final equation using either method. (Try it and see!)

pbonnie said:

Homework Statement

A watermelon with a mass of 2.0kg falls out of a tree house that is 5.4m above the ground. What is the speed of the watermelon just before it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

Δh = (vi^2 - vf^2)/2g
Eg = mgΔh
Ek = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried two different attempts at this one. The first involves rearranging the first equation to solve for the final velocity, since the watermelon is falling out of the tree fort I assume the initial velocity is 0.

On my actual answer I would show the calculations, but I got the answer v = 10.3 m/s

My other attempt (which I'm not sure actually applies to this) is to figure out the gravitational potential energy, and then assume that because the watermelon is hitting the ground that all of that energy would be converted into kinetic energy, so then I could solve for velocity.

Sure you can. The first equation can be derived from the energy relation. Use whatever seems easiest.

Last edited:
Great thank you :)

Also, I just wanted to double check my solution to the second part of that question.
B) A cantaloupe with a mass of 0.45kg falls out the other side of the tree house. It hits a branch at a speed of 6.3m/s. How high is the tree branch from the ground?

I said:
m = 0.45 kg vi = 0 vf = 6.3 m/s ∆htree = 5.4m ∆hbranch = ?
Find the height of the branch from where it dropped to where it hit the branch, then subtract that from the total height.
∆h= (vi^2-vf^2)/2g ∆h= (0-〖(6.3m/s)〗^2)/(2(9.81m/s^2)) ∆h = 2.0 m (from where it dropped)
∆h = 5.4m – 2.0m = 3.4m
The tree branch is 3.4 m above the ground.

Is this correct?

Sounds just fine to me.

pbonnie said:
The tree branch is 3.4 m above the ground.

Is this correct?
Yes. Looks good.

Great, thank you both very much!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by the equation KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is calculated by the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and velocity?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. Can an object have both kinetic and gravitational potential energy at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both kinetic and gravitational potential energy at the same time. For example, a roller coaster at the top of a hill has gravitational potential energy due to its height and kinetic energy due to its motion.

5. How does mass affect an object's kinetic and gravitational potential energy?

The mass of an object affects its kinetic and gravitational potential energy differently. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to mass, so as the mass increases, so does the kinetic energy. Gravitational potential energy, on the other hand, is not affected by mass as it depends on the object's position and not its mass.