Kinetic and Potential Energy with acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a 4-kg mass launched with zero initial velocity on a frictionless circular track. The speed of the mass at point 1 is 20 m/s, and it then travels along a rough horizontal surface (L-4m, μk=0.3) before going up a frictionless slope. Part a involves calculating the height it was dropped from and the kinetic energy at the base. Part b asks to find the acceleration of the system as it travels from point 1 to 2, which requires finding the force first.
salthegemini

Homework Statement

A 4-kg mass is launched with zero initial velocity on a frictionless circular track. The speed of the mass at point 1 is 20 m/s (base of the curve). The mass then travels along a rough horizontal surface between points 1 and 2 (L-4m, μk=0.3). It then travels up a frictionless slope.

Part a had me calculate the height is was dropped from using the velocity at point 1 and it came out to a height of 20.41m and the Kinetic Energy at the base was 800J

Part b) Find the acceleration of the system as it travels from point 1 to 2.

Homework Equations

F=ma
A=(Vinitial-Vfinal)/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize that the friction will slow down the velocity over the length but I don't know how to tie the velocity and acceleration together while including friction.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi salthegemini! welcome to pf! :smile:
salthegemini said:
I realize that the friction will slow down the velocity over the length but I don't know how to tie the velocity and acceleration together while including friction.

nothing accelerates unless there's a force

to find the acceleration, first find the force :wink:

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration. It is stored energy that can be converted into another form of energy.

4. How is potential energy related to acceleration?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy through acceleration. As an object accelerates, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. This is often seen with objects falling due to gravity.

5. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the object's position or configuration is below a reference point, such as the ground. In this case, the potential energy is often referred to as gravitational potential energy.