Kinetic Energy and height unknown

In summary, to find the height from which a 2000 kg car was released if it is lifted vertically and dropped from rest, we can use the formula PE = mgh and the conservation of total energy, Et = Ek + Ep. By equating the total energy at the top and bottom of the drop, we can solve for the height h, which in this case is 25.4 meters.
future_vet

Homework Statement

Determine the KE of a 2000 kg car with speed = 22.3 m/s.

Homework Equations

E = 0.5 x 2000 x 22.3^2= 497290 Joules or 497 KJ.

The Attempt at a Solution

Above.

The car is lifted vertically and dropped from rest. Find the height from which it was released if v before hitting the ground = 22.3m/s.

Here I don't know what to do...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Potential energy

Another hint:Think of total energy, what can you say about the total energy of the car?

Is this for the first or the second question?

both hints , are for the second part, where you need to know the height.

PE = m x g x h
m = 2000Kg
g = 9.8 m/s^2
h = the unknown
PE = ? is it related to v?

the potential enegry at the height h, should be equale to the potential energy of the car as it reach the ground..
Et=Ek+Ep
Et is conserved..
can you continue now ?

Is the total energy the value I found in the first part? 497 KJ?
So I divide 497 by 2 to find Ep?
And then I can find h...

Is this correct?

I think ziad meant to say, "the potential enegry at the height h, should be equal to the kinetic energy of the car as it reach the ground."

In general, for a particle moving in a gravitational field not affected by forces of friction and such, the total energy will remain a constant, and it will be equal to the sum of its (gravitational) potential and kinetic energies.

Last edited:
I am completely confused... Could you show me what you would do so that I can understand the process?
Do we still use: PE = m x g x h and Et=Ek+Ep ?

Thank you...

future_vet said:
Do we still use: PE = m x g x h and Et=Ek+Ep ?

Yes.

Et, at all times, is a constant.

When the car is at a height h (which you need to find out), its potential energy(Ep) is mgh, but it is at rest, so Ek = ?

But when the car hits the ground, it does so with some velocity, and you already know what it's kinetic energy is at the velocity. If you take the ground to be the 0 of the height, Ep at the bottom = ?

Et(at h) = Et(at 0), solve for h.

Here's what I did, if it's not right, then I have no clue...

h = 1/2mv^2/mg=1/2v^2/g
= (22.3^2 x 0.5)/9.8 = 25.4 meters.

That's right.

Thank you!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated as one-half times the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity. The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How does height affect kinetic energy?

The height of an object does not directly affect its kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, not its height. However, the height of an object can affect its potential energy, which can then be converted into kinetic energy when the object falls or is in motion.

4. Can an object have kinetic energy without moving?

No, an object must be in motion to have kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is the energy associated with an object's motion, so if the object is not moving, it has no kinetic energy.

5. How does kinetic energy change as an object falls from a height?

As an object falls from a height, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. This is due to the conversion of potential energy, which is stored energy due to an object's position, into kinetic energy as the object gains speed during its fall.