1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic Energy Exploding Question

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object, with mass 79 kg and speed 23 m/s relative to an observer, explodes into two pieces, one 5 times as massive as the other; the explosion takes place in deep space. The less massive piece stops relative to the observer. How much kinetic energy is added to the system during the explosion, as measured in the observer's reference frame?

2. Relevant equations
    KE=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Since I have two masses, I don't know where to start on this problem. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Eventually the kinetic energy formula will come into play here, but during the explosion energy is NOT conserved, since it tells us the explosion adds energy. But can you tell me what is conserved in the explosion?

4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    Mass is conserved in this explosion but it's in two different forms.

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Anything else?

6. Oct 21, 2007 #5
    Momentum?

7. Oct 21, 2007 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup!:smile:

Now using momentum, can you find find the final energy of both masses?

If you can, then it is just a matter of finding the difference between the initial and final energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?