Rotational Kinetic energy of bar, and new kinetic energy

In summary: Your working seems to be completely off track. So, you cannot add the kinetic energies of the two added masses to the kinetic energy of the rotating bar. Instead, you need to calculate the new moment of inertia of the whole system (which is still rotating at 5 rad/s). Then use that in the formula for rotational kinetic energy.I= 1/12⋅m⋅L^2I= 1/12⋅5⋅2.5^2I= 2.604KE= 1/2⋅I⋅ω^2KE= 1/2⋅2.604⋅5^2
DracoMalfoy

Homework Statement

A bar of length 2.5m and mass 5kg, whose rotation point is at its center, rotates at 5 rad/s. What is the rotational kinetic energy of the bar?If a point mass of mass 1.5kg is added to each end of the bar, assuming the angluar velocity is the same, what is the new kinetic energy?

a. 15.6J, 78.9J

b. 32.6J, 91.1J

c. 32.6J, 267J

d. 15.6J, 35.8J

e. 10.7J, 42.9J

Homework Equations

KE=.5⋅ I⋅ω^2

I=m⋅r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Im not sure where to start on this. I really need help. I've been working on this for 20 minutes.

ω= 5rad/s
r=2.5m= 1.25m
m=5kg

Physics news on Phys.org
DracoMalfoy said:

Homework Statement

A bar of length 2.5m and mass 5kg, whose rotation point is at its center, rotates at 5 rad/s. What is the rotational kinetic energy of the bar?If a point mass of mass 1.5kg is added to each end of the bar, assuming the angluar velocity is the same, what is the new kinetic energy?

a. 15.6J, 78.9J

b. 32.6J, 91.1J

c. 32.6J, 267J

d. 15.6J, 35.8J

e. 10.7J, 42.9J

Homework Equations

KE=.5⋅ I⋅ω^2

I=m⋅r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Im not sure where to start on this. I really need help. I've been working on this for 20 minutes.

ω= 5rad/s
r=2.5m= 1.25m
m=5kg
The equation you quote for I is only for a point mass about another point (or a ring, or hollow cylinder, about its mass centre).
You need a different formula for a thin rod about its mass centre. Nothing in your notes?

haruspex said:
thin rod about its mass centre

1/12⋅m⋅L^2?

DracoMalfoy said:
1/12⋅m⋅L^2?
Right. Apply that.

I did that and got 25.5. do i sub that into the other equation?

DracoMalfoy said:
I did that and got 25.5. do i sub that into the other equation?
That's rather inaccurate. Please post your working.

haruspex said:
That's rather inaccurate. Please post your working.

I=(1/12)(5⋅9.81)(2.5)^2

I guess i shouldn't multiply the 5 by 9.8? because I am getting 32.6 as the answer when i sub it into the other equation when i do it the other way

DracoMalfoy said:
i shouldn't multiply the 5 by 9.8?
Why would you multiply by g? The formula references the mass, m, not the weight. The moment of inertia would be the same on the moon as on Earth.

I guess I'm so used to doing it since we were doing that all through the last unit. Do i add the point masses to the kinetic energy?

DracoMalfoy said:
Do i add the point masses to the kinetic energy?
You add the contribution from the point masses, yes.

But I am getting 52.2 as the answer when i do that .-.

Ipm=m⋅r^2 right? and the radius is 1.25. i multiplied by the mass.

DracoMalfoy said:
But I am getting 52.2 as the answer when i do that .-.

Ipm=m⋅r^2 right? and the radius is 1.25. i multiplied by the mass.
I cannot see how you get 52.2, whether you mean for one mass, both masses, or the whole system. Please post your working.

I used the point mass formula for both of the masses ._. then added to the kinetic energy

DracoMalfoy said:
I used the point mass formula for both of the masses ._. then added to the kinetic energy
Please show your calculation explicitly. Type them out so that they can be examined and commented upon.

I=1/12⋅m⋅L^2
I= 1/12⋅5⋅2.5^2
I=2.604

KE=1/2⋅I⋅ω^2
KE=1/2⋅2.604⋅5^2
KE= 32.6

For point masses

I=1/3⋅1.5⋅1.25^2
I=.7813

KE=1/2⋅.7813⋅5^2
KE= 10

Then i tried to add 20 to the 32.6 and I am not getting the answer. I am probably doing this completely wrong.

DracoMalfoy said:
For point masses

I=1/3⋅1.5⋅1.25^2
Where is the 1/3 coming from? They are point masses. Use the formula for that.

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is expressed as 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy different from linear kinetic energy?

While linear kinetic energy is associated with the motion of an object in a straight line, rotational kinetic energy is associated with the motion of an object around an axis. Both types of kinetic energy are dependent on an object's mass and velocity, but rotational kinetic energy also takes into account the shape and distribution of an object's mass.

3. What factors affect the amount of rotational kinetic energy an object has?

The amount of rotational kinetic energy an object has is dependent on its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and mass. Objects with a larger moment of inertia or higher angular velocity will have a greater amount of rotational kinetic energy, while objects with a smaller mass will have a smaller amount of rotational kinetic energy.

4. How is rotational kinetic energy related to work and power?

Rotational kinetic energy is directly related to work and power, as they are all measures of energy. Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, while power is the rate at which work is done. In rotational motion, work is done to overcome the object's moment of inertia, which then results in an increase in rotational kinetic energy.

5. Can an object have both rotational and linear kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have both rotational and linear kinetic energy at the same time. For example, a spinning top has both rotational kinetic energy due to its rotation around an axis and linear kinetic energy due to its forward motion. However, the total amount of kinetic energy in the system remains constant, as energy cannot be created or destroyed.