Kinetic Energy of Two Atoms System: r=r1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 25K views
xhhux
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The figure shows a potential energy curve for the interaction of two neutral atoms. The two-atom system is in a vibrational state indicated by the heavy solid horizontal line.

(a) At r = r1, what are the approximate values of the kinetic energy K, the potential energy U, and the quantity K+U?
K =
U = -1.3 eV
K+U =

Homework Equations


U=0.5*Ks^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I can't for the life of me figure out how to find K, I feel like it should be really easy, but I'm at a loss of where to start.

If anyone could give me jumping off point at least I'd be very grateful. Thanks
 
Attachments
  • 4-55.jpg
    4-55.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 3,801
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


After taking a short break, I figured it out, and it was massively simple.
I'll post the answer here so that anyone else Googling in the future can find it.

K=1.1
U=-1.3
and K+U = -0.2

since they are inversely proportional, their sum must equal the vibration state.