1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the minimum kinetic energy of two electrons in a 1D box

1. Apr 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: Consider a "crystal" consisting of two nuclei and two electrons arranged like this:
    q1 q2 q1 q2
    with a distance d betweem each. (q1=e, q2=-e)
    a) Find the potential energy as a function of d.
    b) Assuming the electrons to be restricted to a one-dimensional box of length 3d, find the minimum kinetic energy of the two electrons.
    c) Find the value of d for which the total energy is a minimum.

2. Relevant equations
    En=n2pi2hbar2/2mL2

And the Schrodinger equation

3. The attempt at a solution

The Potential energy I found to be (-7/3)(ke2/d) which is correct. (k=coulomb constant).

I assumed the minimum Kinetic energy would be the lowest allowed energy (basically E and n=1) because Potential energy should be zero inside the box. I got as a result pi2hbar2/18md2, but the correct answer is hbar2/36md2.

I have a factor of pi2 that I don't know how to get rid of
    I'm missing a factor of 1/2 - is that because there are two electrons and it is thus 2m instead of m?

For c, d is supposed to equal hbar2/42mke2 and I assume it comes from the fact that Eelectric=kq2/r, but I'm not sure how to continue there. I'm guessing it has something to do with the kinetic energy I can't find.

hbar is the reduced planck constant (h/2pi)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps they are expressing their answer in terms of h rather than hbar. Also, don't forget you have two electrons in the box.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    For part c, you should add the total potential energy you found in (a) to the minimum kinetic energy of the two electrons (answer to b), then differentiate the sum and solve for zero. When I solved, I got an answer of d= h^2 / (42ke^2m)

5. Dec 13, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're 8 months too late!

6. Dec 13, 2016 #5
    Yeah I figured if someone googles the problem (like I did) then they'll find the whole problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted