Approximate Values of Kinetic Energy and Potential Energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Wakko
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


https://s2.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/perl_author/MI3/CH7/IMAGES/MI3_7P32.png
The figure shows a potential energy curve for the interaction of two neutral atoms. The two-atom system is in a vibrational state (i.e., a total energy state) indicated by the heavy solid horizontal line.
At r=r1, what are the approximate values of the kinetic energy K, the potential U, and the quantity K+U?

Homework Equations


Vibrational State = K + U

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm pretty sure that U = -1.2 (dotted line)
And the Vibrational State (bold line) or K + U = -0.4
Which I'd assume means that K = 0.8 but this is incorrect. I've looked at this inside out and cannot figure out what's wrong.
 
Attachments
  • physicsproblem1.png
    physicsproblem1.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 718
Physics news on Phys.org
I see what my mistake was. I was putting my answer in J but they wanted it in eV.