Kinetic Energy Vs. Potential Energy confusion.

In summary: Basically, you are trying to find the work done by the force, Vbrakes, over a distance of 25.5 meters.)
teriblekelly

Homework Statement

A car and driver weighing 5530 N passes a
sign stating "Bridge Out 25.5 m Ahead." She
slams on the brakes, and the car decelerates
at a constant rate of 13.7 m/s^2 :
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 :
What is the magnitude of the work done
stopping the car if the car just stops in time
to avoid diving into the water? Answer in
units of J.

Homework Equations

This is where I'm stuck. In class today we learned about Conservation of Energy and I don't know if that applies here.
I know there is constant acceleration in forward direction so I could use Kinematics but I don't know where to go from there I'm confused as to what sign to designate to 13.7 m/s^2.
So far I have: Vf^2=Vo^2+2a(deltaX)
0=Vo^2+2(-13.7 m/s^2)(25.5m)
Vo^2=698.7
Vo=26.432934 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone out there to help?

If you want to solve it with energy, I suggest beginning with all the pertinent conditions at the beginning and setting them equal to those at the end (think what kinetic will be) plus the energy lost by heat in the breaks, which is what you're looking for.

Nevermind I just figure out the entire problem.

teriblekelly said:

Homework Statement

A car and driver weighing 5530 N passes a
sign stating "Bridge Out 25.5 m Ahead." She
slams on the brakes, and the car decelerates
at a constant rate of 13.7 m/s^2 :
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 :
What is the magnitude of the work done
stopping the car if the car just stops in time
to avoid diving into the water? Answer in
units of J.

Homework Equations

This is where I'm stuck. In class today we learned about Conservation of Energy and I don't know if that applies here.
I know there is constant acceleration in forward direction so I could use Kinematics but I don't know where to go from there I'm confused as to what sign to designate to 13.7 m/s^2.
So far I have: Vf^2=Vo^2+2a(deltaX)
0=Vo^2+2(-13.7 m/s^2)(25.5m)
Vo^2=698.7
Vo=26.432934 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

using the kinematic equation gets you the initial velocity of the car, which you have correctly done. Now if you want to use conservation of energy,write down that equation and solve for the work done by the braking force. PE does not come into the equation, since there is no PE change. (It's perhaps a bit easier to use Newton 2, but that depends on how you are asked to solve this problem.

What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state.

Can kinetic energy ever be converted into potential energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy. This often happens when an object is lifted off the ground, as its kinetic energy from falling is converted into potential energy due to its increased height.

Why is it important to understand the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Understanding the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy is important in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately calculate and predict the behavior and movement of objects.

Is one type of energy more important than the other?

Both kinetic energy and potential energy are important, and they often work together to create motion and changes in an object. However, the importance of each type of energy may vary depending on the specific situation or system being studied.

How can we calculate kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. Potential energy can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or vertical position of the object.