Cart pulled by cord over pulley: finding change in kinetic energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
math_head7
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A cord is attached to a cart that can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail aligned along an x axis. The left end of the cord is pulled over a pulley, or negligible mass and friction and at cord height h = 1.20m, so the cart slides from x1 = 3.00m to x2 = 1.00m. During the move, the tension in the cord is a constant 25.0N. what is the change in the kinetic energy of the cart during the move?


Homework Equations



W=Fxcos[tex]\Theta[/tex]d ?
[tex]\Delta[/tex]K= 1/2mv22F - 1/2mv2I ?

The Attempt at a Solution



I attempted to find theta by doing tan-1(1.2/2) getting angle 31.96 degrees. I then plugged that into Fxcos(31.96)d = 25Ncos(31.96)2.00m = 42.9J which was my answer. But the book says it's 41.7J. I just can't figure it out...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi math_head7! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and a delta: ∆ and a degree: ° :wink:)

i assume the lower end of the string stays 1.2 m below the pulley, so that the angle changes?

you've calculated it as if the angle stays the same :redface:

you'll need to integrate (alternatively, there is a trick using conservation) :wink:

try again! :smile:​
 
Thanks tiny-tim.

I didn't consider at all that θ was changing. Thanks to that advice I was able to figure it out.