Find change in kinetic energy using work?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the change in kinetic energy of a cart moving along a frictionless rail with a cord attached to it. The tension in the cord is constant and the cart moves from x1 = 3.0m to x2 = 2.0m. The attempt at a solution involves finding the work done by integrating the force over the displacement, taking into account the changing angle of the cord. The final answer is 17.3 J.
dorkymichelle

Homework Statement

Figure 7-40 shows a cord attached to a cart that can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail aligned along an x axis. The left end of the cord is pulled over a pulley, of negligible mass and friction and at cord height h = 1.2 m, so the cart slides from x1 = 3.0 m to x2 = 2.0 m. During the move, the tension in the cord is a constant 27.0 N. What is the change in the kinetic energy of the cart during the move?

Homework Equations

W= Fdcos a
W = 1/2mvf2 - 1/2mvi2
w = change in kinetic energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can just find work because change in kinetic energy(what the prob. asks for) = net work

Only the component of force that is parallel to the displacement is doing work.
Using the triangle between displacement and the cord, I get a = 50.19 degrees
x component of force = cos 50.19=x/27.0, Fx = 17.28
W = f*d
W = 17.28 *1.0m
since x1= 3.0m and x2 = 2.0m, displacement is 1.0m
so W = 17.3 J
change in kinetic energy = 17.3 J
what did i do wrong?

Attachments

• pict_7_42.gif
    pict_7_42.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,259
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle, θ, changes as the cart moves, so you have to integrate to find the total work done.

Can you help me with the integration?
work = area under the curve of force and x
so it would be integrate between3.0m and 2.0m, but I'm not sure what the f(x)dx should be?
Do I just take f(x) = 3.0?

x component of force = -Tcos (θ),

cos(θ) = x/√(x2+h2)

[tex]W=\int_{3.0}^{2.0}-T\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+h^2}}\,dx[/tex]

Your approach is correct, but there is a small error in your calculation. The angle between the force and displacement should be 90°, not 50.19°. This is because the force is acting perpendicular to the displacement, since the cart is moving horizontally and the force is acting vertically. Therefore, the correct value for the x-component of force would be Fx = 0, and the work done would be W = 0. This means that there is no change in kinetic energy during the move, since the net work done is zero.

1. How do you calculate the change in kinetic energy using work?

To calculate the change in kinetic energy using work, you can use the formula: ΔKE = W, where ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy and W is the work done on the object. This means that the change in kinetic energy is equal to the amount of work done on the object.

2. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

The relationship between work and kinetic energy is that work is the measure of energy transfer, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In other words, work is done on an object to change its kinetic energy.

3. Can you find the change in kinetic energy if the work is negative?

Yes, you can find the change in kinetic energy even if the work is negative. This means that the work done on the object is in the opposite direction of its motion, resulting in a decrease in its kinetic energy. The change in kinetic energy will be negative in this case.

4. What units are used to measure work and kinetic energy?

The units used to measure work are joules (J), while the units used to measure kinetic energy are also joules (J). This is because both work and kinetic energy are forms of energy and are measured in the same unit.

5. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect the change in kinetic energy?

The mass and velocity of an object both have a direct effect on the change in kinetic energy. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater the change in kinetic energy will be. This is because kinetic energy is directly proportional to both mass and velocity.