1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinetic, potential and mechanical energy question.

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 5.5 x 10^4 kg airplane, travelling at an altitude of 9.9 km, has a speed of 260 m/s relative to the ground. Nearing the end of the flight, the plane slows to a speed of 140 m/s while descending to an altitude of 2.1 km. Determine the plane's total loss of mechanical energy during this change of speed and altitude.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E_g = mgh[/tex]
    [tex]E_k = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea how to start to solve this problem. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The mechanical energy is just the sum of gravitational PE and kinetic energy. You have the formulas for both--just crank it out.

4. Jan 25, 2008 #3
    Thanks dude!

5. Jan 25, 2008 #4
    Ok, I did this:

a)
    Eg = mgh
    Ek = mv^2, where v I put 260 m/s
    Et1 = Eg + Ek

b)
    Same thing as above but with the second values.
    Elost = Et1 - Et2.

The answer is supposed tob e 5.5 x 10^9 Joules but i get 4.98 x 10^9 Joules. What did I do wrong? Did I go about this the right way?

6. Jan 25, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks like the right way to me. If you post the details of your calculation, perhaps we can spot an error. (Or confirm your answer.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?