Kinetics Assignment - Reaction Orders

In summary: Integrating the rate equation and plugging in the given values, the rate constant is 8.72*10-4 s-1 and the half-life is about 795 sec. The concentration of A at t=600 sec is 0.197M.In summary, by plotting the concentration of reactant A against time, it was determined that the reaction is first order with a rate constant of 8.72*10-4 s-1 and a half-life of approximately 795 seconds. Using the integrated rate equation, the concentration of A at t=600 seconds was found to be 0.197M.
sltungle

Homework Statement

The concentration of the reactant A has been studied as a function of time. By a suitable plot of the data below, show that the reaction is first order, and determine the rate constant, k, and the half-life, t1/2. Use the integrated rate equation to determine [A] when t = 600s.

t (seconds) 100 200 300 400 500

[A] (mol/L) 0.344 0.314 0.286 0.261 0.238

Homework Equations

-d[A]/dt = k*[A]

The Attempt at a Solution

The main part that's confusing me is the bolded part. I've done the first part in showing that the reaction is first order by plotting the concentration on the Y-axis against time on the X-axis. My linear trend line has an R2 value of 0.997 so I'd say it's a safe bet to assume just from the geometry of the graph that the reaction is a first order one.

The second part (the bolded part) is what is stumping me, because I KNOW it's insanely simple but for some reason I can't do it.

I took the gradient of my graph (2.65*10-4) which is the reaction rate (d[A]/dt) and set that to equal k[A], but here's where I'm getting frustrated and things don't seem to be working out.

My gradient is a constant value (which makes sense - it's a linear graph); it doesn't depend on any variables. My [A] value is constantly changing as the reaction progresses over time.

If d[A]/dt = k*[A] and the left hand side is constant, while on the right hand side [A] is changing over time, then does k not also have to be a changing value in order to keep the whole equation constant? But that makes no sense, because k is a reaction rate constant. I need a solid value for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting myself in a really bad mood over this and I get the feeling that by focusing too much on this one aspect of the problem that I'm blinding myself to alternate methods.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac {d[A]} {dt}[/itex] is not constant. Concentration changes by 0.030M in the first 100 sec and by 0.023M in the last 100 sec.

1. What is the definition of reaction order?

The reaction order is a measure of the dependence of the rate of a chemical reaction on the concentration of reactants. It represents the power to which the concentration of a reactant is raised in the rate law equation.

2. How is reaction order determined experimentally?

Reaction order is determined by conducting a series of experiments in which the initial concentrations of the reactants are varied and the corresponding reaction rates are measured. The data is then used to determine the reaction order by comparing it to the rate law equation.

3. What is the difference between zero, first, and second-order reactions?

In a zero-order reaction, the rate is independent of the concentration of the reactant. In a first-order reaction, the rate is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactant. In a second-order reaction, the rate is directly proportional to the square of the concentration of the reactant.

4. How does temperature affect reaction order?

Temperature can affect reaction order by changing the rate of the reaction. Generally, increasing the temperature will increase the reaction rate, resulting in a higher reaction order. In some cases, a change in temperature can also change the reaction order by altering the reaction mechanism.

5. What are the limitations of reaction order?

Reaction order is only applicable to simple chemical reactions, where the rate is dependent on the concentration of one or a few reactants. It also assumes that the reaction is taking place under ideal conditions and that the rate law equation accurately represents the reaction mechanism.