1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Kinetics: determining order of reaction

1. Jan 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Good day! I have a question from my chem HW that is stumping me. Although the answer may be simple, it has eluded me for quite a bit. It regards rate laws and constants of reactions.

Question is as stated: This reaction was monitored as a function of time: AB --> A + B

A plot of 1/[AB] versus time yields a straight line
    with slope= - 0.055 M-1s-1

What is the value of the rate constant (k) at this temp?

2. Relevant equations

SINCE it stated 1/[AB] vs. time, its implying an order 2 reaction since order 2 reaction
    has the integrated rate law:
    1/[AB]t = kt + 1/[AB]0

y axis = 1/[AB].......

3. The attempt at a solution

When a order 2 reaction is plotted against time, k = slope. When the question stated it was talking about a plot of 1/[AB] its referring to a order 2 reaction, and since order 2 reactions (when plotted against time) have a y axis = 1/[AB], im deducing the reaction is order 2.

I'm confused since the given slope is negative, and every graph of an order 2 reaction vs. time in my book has a straight line with a positive slope.

Like I said, its an easy problem, with an easy solution, but i'm not seeing it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2014 #2
    If [AB] is decreasing with time, then 1/[AB] must be increasing with time. That's why the slope is positive.

Chet

4. Jan 25, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply, but 1/[AB] has a negative slope not positive in this problem. That's why i'm confused. The graph would indicate that 1/[AB] is decreasing with time which means [AB] is increasing which makes no sense.

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4
    Oh. I didn't notice that. It must just be a mistake in the problem statement.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted