King Abdullah University of Science and Technology

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Mentor
Messages
29,212
Reaction score
4,642
That's what I got yesterday:

We are here in King Abdullah University of Science and Technology , glad to have you added to our system as registered vendor to start doing business with you in the near future.

Would you please fill the attached form and send us the needed documents below.


1. Vendor registration form.

2. Bank Details on company letterhead including IBAN #

As far as I can tell from the headers the mail was really sent from kaust.edu.sa

Request to send bank details on the company letterhead smells of fraud for miles for me, but that's the first time I see something like that. Any comments?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I get things like that all the time. Most of the time they go to my free accounts, and then are stuck in the spam filter, but occasionally I have one slip through to my college account.
 


This is what I go by :

Do not send any information about yourself (this includes real name, credit card numbers, account numbers, phone numbers and such) in an email to someone whom you don't know exists (i.e, in real life).

Btw, I'm not sure, but it IS possible to modify email headers.

EDIT :: **in an email/or any other means related to the internet
 


russ_watters said:
Did you try to sell them something? If so, it might be legit...

No, and they never contacted me that they want to buy something. If it was after some earlier email exchange I would assume that's just a part of their bureaucracy. Could be they PLAN to buy something.

What makes me wonder is it looks like it was sent from withing the university and the only return address is one that looks like name.surname at kaust dot edu dot sa - so either it is a legitimate person working at KAUST, or their security/server administration sucks.
 


Phone lines, if they are really looking to buy something they'll ring. Or just be blunt and email back saying you don't give bank details over the interwebs.
 


I was blunt but polite. Turns out they want to buy one of my programs.