Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

King Abdullah University of Science and Technology

1. Aug 4, 2010 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's what I got yesterday:

As far as I can tell from the headers the mail was really sent from kaust.edu.sa

Request to send bank details on the company letterhead smells of fraud for miles for me, but that's the first time I see something like that. Any comments?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2010 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: fraud?

I get things like that all the time. Most of the time they go to my free accounts, and then are stuck in the spam filter, but occasionally I have one slip through to my college account.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Did you try to sell them something? If so, it might be legit...

5. Aug 4, 2010 #4

This is what I go by :

Do not send any information about yourself (this includes real name, credit card numbers, account numbers, phone numbers and such) in an email to someone whom you don't know exists (i.e, in real life).

Btw, I'm not sure, but it IS possible to modify email headers.

EDIT :: **in an email/or any other means related to the internet

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5

Borek

No, and they never contacted me that they want to buy something. If it was after some earlier email exchange I would assume that's just a part of their bureaucracy. Could be they PLAN to buy something.

What makes me wonder is it looks like it was sent from withing the university and the only return address is one that looks like name.surname at kaust dot edu dot sa - so either it is a legitimate person working at KAUST, or their security/server administration sucks.

7. Aug 4, 2010 #6

Phone lines, if they are really looking to buy something they'll ring. Or jsut be blunt and email back saying you don't give bank details over the interwebs.

8. Aug 4, 2010 #7

Borek

I was blunt but polite. Turns out they want to buy one of my programs.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook