Kirchhoff's law problem with two batteries

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of E1 that would make the ammeter reading equal to 0. The equations I3 = I1+I2, E1 = 3I1 + 4I3, and 12 = 2I2 + 4I3 are given, leading to 3 equations in 4 variables. The solution is found by setting I1 = 0 and solving for the remaining variables, resulting in E1 = 8V.
patric44
Homework Statement
find the value of E1 that would make the reading of the ammeter = 0
Relevant Equations
I3 = I1+I2
E1 = 3I1 + 4I3
12 = 2I2 + 4I3

the question is find the value of E1 that would make the ammeter reading = 0 ?
i tried KCL , and KVL and got the following equations : ( I1 belongs to 3 ohm , I2 belongs to 2 ohm , I3 belongs to 4 ohm ):
I3 = I1+I2
E1 = 3I1 + 4I3
12 = 2I2 + 4I3

but now i have 3 equations in 4 variables ?!
i think its simpler than that but i am missing the idea here , any help on this ?
i saw the answer it equals 8 v , but i can't get any further with my equations .

Attachments

• resee.jpg
    resee.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 247
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't think of this as a system of ##n## equations and ##n## unknowns that you have to solve. You want ##I_1## to be zero, so get an equation involving ##E_1##, ##E_2## and ##I_1## by eliminating the other two currents and see for what value of ##E_1## the value of ##I_1## is zero. Alternatively, set ##I_1=0## in your equations and solve a system of 3 equations and 3 unknowns. You can do that in your head.

Likes patric44
Another approach: You know that the ammeter reading is to be zero. So assume that is the case and simplify your equations accordingly.

patric44 said:
but now i have 3 equations in 4 variables
But you know the value of one of those variables from the desired solution (ammeter current = 0).

Likes patric44
kuruman said:
Don't think of this as a system of ##n## equations and ##n## unknowns that you have to solve. You want ##I_1## to be zero, so get an equation involving ##E_1##, ##E_2## and ##I_1## by eliminating the other two currents and see for what value of ##E_1## the value of ##I_1## is zero. Alternatively, set ##I_1=0## in your equations and solve a system of 3 equations and 3 unknowns. You can do that in your head.
thank you so much once you said I1 = 0 it hit me , i calculated it and it came out 8 v .

1. What is Kirchhoff's law problem with two batteries?

Kirchhoff's laws are a set of fundamental principles that govern the behavior of electric circuits. In this problem, we are specifically looking at the application of Kirchhoff's laws to a circuit with two batteries.

2. What are Kirchhoff's laws?

Kirchhoff's laws include the law of conservation of charge, which states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction, and the loop rule, which states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

3. How do you solve a Kirchhoff's law problem with two batteries?

To solve a Kirchhoff's law problem with two batteries, you will need to apply both the law of conservation of charge and the loop rule to the circuit. This will involve setting up and solving a system of equations to find the values of the currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving Kirchhoff's law problems with two batteries?

Some common mistakes when solving Kirchhoff's law problems with two batteries include forgetting to account for the polarity of the batteries, not properly labeling the direction of current flow, and incorrectly applying the loop rule or the law of conservation of charge.

5. Can Kirchhoff's laws be applied to circuits with more than two batteries?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws can be applied to circuits with any number of batteries. However, as the number of batteries and components in a circuit increases, the complexity of the system of equations needed to solve the circuit also increases.