Two batteries and two resistors circuit - wrong possible answers ?

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit problem with two voltage sources and two resistors. The discussion focuses on using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to solve for the current flowing through each resistor. The initial current (i1) is equal to the sum of the two resulting currents (i2 and i3) according to Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). The solution provided by one participant uses KVL to derive the equation i = (E2-E1)/(2r1+2r2+R). However, there is confusion and disagreement about the correct answer, with some participants suggesting that there may be a mistake in the given answer options. Another participant suggests using a simplified version of KVL
mfratczak88
Homework Statement
In the figure below, two batteries with emf E1 and E2 and internal resistances r1 and r2 forms a circuit together with two identical resistors each with resistance R. Find the current passing through each resistor.
Relevant Equations
KVL
It's ABCD question with answers attached.
Problem is that, I don't think that neither of those are correct. From KVL the equation seems to be i = (E2-E1)/(2r1+2r2 + R). I've attached images of the circuit, answers, and my solution.
Can someone please point me if I am wrong, and if yes, where's the error ?

Many thanks :)

Edit: It seems that for some reason Images of the solutions cannot be uploaded. None the less here's my solution:

Initial current i1 will produce two currents i2 and i3 so that from KCL we have i1 = i2+i3.
From KVL
1) -E1 + E2 - i1r1 -i1r2 - i2R = 0
2) -i3R+i2R = 0 => i2 = i3

using the fact that i2=i3 and i1 = i2+i3 we have
-E1+E2 - 2*(i2r1) - 2*(i2r2) - i2R = 0 => i2 = (E2-E1)/(2r1+2r2+R).

Attachments

• homework_circuit.png
    homework_circuit.png
    947 bytes · Views: 143
  • homework_answers.png
    homework_answers.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mfratczak88 said:
2r1+2r2 + R
I don't get their answers either, but I don't necessarily agree with your use of the "2" terms above. Can you say in more detail how you got your solution?

berkeman said:
I don't get their answers either, but I don't necessarily agree with your use of the "2" terms above. Can you say in more detail how you got your solution?

I've edited my post, because I couldn't post the image. There you will find my solution.

Sorry, I'm not able to follow your logic. The two voltage sources are in series, so their voltages subtract and their internal resistances add. What is the total resistance of the external R//R?

berkeman said:
Sorry, I'm not able to follow your logic. The two voltage sources are in series, so their voltages subtract and their internal resistances add. What is the total resistance of the external R//R?
From KVL, if I go with the direction of the current in the inner loop on the left, with E2 there's a voltage drop as I am going from + to minus, with E1 there's a voltage increase as I am going from - to +. So it should be E1 - E2 not E2 - E1, the rest should be fine.

mfratczak88 said:
From KVL, if I go with the direction of the current in the inner loop on the left, with E2 there's a voltage drop as I am going from + to minus, with E1 there's a voltage increase as I am going from - to +. So it should be E1 - E2 not E2 - E1, the rest should be fine.
Is the given answer c)?

I agree none of the answers is correct. I suspect they made a printing mistake with parantheses in option c).

Likes berkeman
cnh1995 said:
Is the given answer c)?

I agree none of the answers is correct. I suspect they made a printing mistake with parantheses in option c).
Can you write down KVL ? Whatever I can think of, the my KVL equations seems to be the same.

You didn't answer what R//R is...

berkeman said:
You didn't answer what R//R is...
(1/2)(R)

Right! And that R/2 is in series with the other two resistors, and in series with the difference in the two supply voltages. Can you see how a missing "/2" in one of the answers might make it correct?

Likes cnh1995
berkeman said:
Right! And that R/2 is in series with the other two resistors, and in series with the difference in the two supply voltages. Can you see how a missing "/2" in one of the answers might make it correct?
So what should be the answer then ? I still don't get it why my KVLs is wrong ?

mfratczak88 said:
So what should be the answer then ? I still don't get it why my KVLs is wrong ?
Only one KVL is needed if you combine the R//R into on R/2. Can you write that KVL and use it to solve for the current? Don't worry about the +/- sign for the current I, that just depends on the choice of current direction in your KVL loop. :smile:

berkeman said:
Only one KVL is needed if you combine the R//R into on R/2. Can you write that KVL and use it to solve for the current? Don't worry about the +/- sign for the current I, that just depends on the choice of current direction in your KVL loop. :smile:
It will be I = E1-E2/(r1+r2+(1/2)R). But this is the current for equivalent resistor. The question was what was the current flowing through each of the resistors. So in this case, if they have the same resistance the current will be half of the value above, which is E1-E2/(2r1+2r2+R)

@mfratczak88 , after going through your solution, it appears to me that you have assumed i1, i2 and i3 to be flowing anticlockwise. I believe your answer is correct as per your choice of current direction.

I chose i1, i2 and i3 to be clockwise and got E1-E2 in the numerator.

Likes berkeman
cnh1995 said:
@mfratczak88 , after going through your solution, it appears to me that you have assumed i1, i2 and i3 to be flowing anticlockwise. I believe your answer is correct as per your choice of current direction.

I chose i1, i2 and i3 to be clockwise and got E1-E2 in the numerator.
did you get (2r1+2r2+R) in the denominator ?

mfratczak88 said:
did you get (2r1+2r2+R) in the denominator ?
Yes.
The difference in our numerators is simply because of the choice of current direction.

Likes mfratczak88
mfratczak88 said:
The question was what was the current flowing through each of the resistors.
Ah, apologies, I thought they wanted the overall loop current. So you are right, cut it in half to get the current in each of the R resistors. :smile:

Likes mfratczak88

1. What is the purpose of a two batteries and two resistors circuit?

A two batteries and two resistors circuit is used to control the flow of electric current in a circuit. It can be used to power electronic devices or to measure the resistance of a component.

2. What happens if the wrong type of batteries are used in a two batteries and two resistors circuit?

If the wrong type of batteries are used in a two batteries and two resistors circuit, it can cause the circuit to malfunction or even damage the components. It is important to use the correct type of batteries for the specific circuit.

3. Can I use two different types of batteries in a two batteries and two resistors circuit?

No, it is not recommended to use two different types of batteries in a two batteries and two resistors circuit. This can cause an imbalance in the circuit and lead to inaccurate readings or damage to the components.

4. What are some common wrong answers about a two batteries and two resistors circuit?

Some common wrong answers about a two batteries and two resistors circuit include using two batteries with different voltages, using resistors with incorrect values, or not connecting the circuit properly. These mistakes can lead to incorrect readings or damage to the circuit.

5. How do I troubleshoot a two batteries and two resistors circuit that is not working?

If a two batteries and two resistors circuit is not working, you should first check the connections to make sure they are secure. Then, check the batteries to ensure they are the correct type and have enough charge. Finally, check the resistors to make sure they have the correct values. If the circuit still does not work, there may be an issue with one of the components and it may need to be replaced.