1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law for PNP Transistor Circuit

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I seem to have no problem applying KVL to NPN transistor bias circuits, but a world of trouble getting my polarities straight on PNP transistor bias circuits. The +'s and -'s are driving me crazy. :rolleyes:

The following circuit was presented in the "Voltage-Divider Biased PNP Transistor" section of my Electronics textbook. My task is to find IE. The book gives IE as:

[tex]I_{E}=\frac{-V_{TH}+V_{BE}}{R_E+R_{TH}/\beta _{DC}}[/tex]

The circuit in question:

01.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law --> Sum of voltage rises + drops = 0

Voltage Divider Law --> [itex]V_x=\left (\frac{R_x}{R_T} \right )E[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The first thing I did was redraw the circuit.

02.jpg

Then I used Thévenin's Theorem to get reduce the left-hand "window" to one voltage source and one resistance.

[tex]V_{TH}=V_{R2}=\left (\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2} \right )\left ( -V_{CC} \right )[/tex]

[tex]R_{TH}=\frac{R_1R_2}{R_1+R_2}[/tex]

The Thévenized circuit is now:

03.jpg

Now comes the part that I always screw up; getting the polarities correct on my KVL equation...

[tex]V_{TH}-I_ER_E-V_{BE}-I_BR_{TH=0}[/tex]

[itex]V_{TH}-I_ER_E-V_{BE}-\left (\frac{I_E}{\beta } \right )\left ( R_{TH} \right )=0[/itex] because [itex]I_B=\left (\frac{I_E}{\beta } \right )[/itex]

[tex]I_E\left ( R_E+\frac{R_{TH}}{\beta } \right )=V_{TH}-V_{BE}[/tex]

[tex]I_E=\frac{V_{TH}-V_{BE}}{R_E+R_{TH}/\beta }=\frac{\left (\frac{R_2}{R_1+R_2} \right )\left ( -V_{CC} \right )-0.7V}{R_E+R_{TH}/\beta }[/tex]

I also drew this little diagram to help me with the PNP transistor because I tend to get confused about the polarity of the base-emitter junction:

04.jpg

I think my answer is the same as the book's but I'm not sure. They don't give VBE as a specific voltage level so I don't know if it's +0.7V or -0.7V.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Seeing the circuit drawn that way gives me vertigo! Flip your first diagram vertically to help with the intuition stuff. More poisitive supplies go toward the top of a circuit diagram, and more negative supplies go toward the bottom.

If I can get rid of the vertigo, I'll try to check your equations...

4. Mar 28, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly my thoughts. The very first circuit is upside down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted