1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kirchoff's Loop Rule Involving 2 Resistors and a Capacitor

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    A 5μF capacitor is connected in parallel with a 2MΩ resistor and the combination is then connected in series with a 1MΩ resistor through a switch to a 12V battery. Find the time taken for the voltage across the capacitor to rise from zero initial value to 2V after the switch is closed.

From what I understand this requires Kirchoff's loop and junction rules which is okay up until I hit the voltage across the capacitor which is where I get stuck.

Here's the diagram I made to work from, hopefully it's right:
    yV9S3QY.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2
    Vc(t)=Forced response + Transient response
    forced response"steady state response" is found at time equals infinity at which the capacitor becomes open circuit
    here it is : 12*(2/3)=8 volts .... voltage division

4. Feb 11, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the help, I was going to go around it that way but my issue was that taw = RC and I'm not sure what taw is since there's a resistor in series and one in parallel

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4
    R is the parallel combination of R1 and R2

6. Feb 11, 2016 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Think Thevenin equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted