Klein-Gordon equation: showing k_i k_i equals p^2/c^2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
rwooduk
Messages
757
Reaction score
59
Mentor note: fixed formulas so they get displayed properly

If we take the K-G eqn and the following term for the wave function

$$( \partial^2 + \frac{m^{2}c^{2}}{\hbar^{2}})\Psi =0
\\\\\Psi = Re^{-i\omega t + i k_{i}x_{i}}$$We worked through to this ##\hbar \omega = \pm \sqrt{\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}+ m^{2}c^{4}}## which is fine and recognisable, but I can't get the ##\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}## term to equal the familiar ##\rho^{2}c^{2}##. I'm assuming it's obvious and that's why he didnt show it, but I'm a bit stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

edit

he also did something similar here:

MB063El.jpg
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your questions (and I didn't see something similar in the notes you uploaded)
Momentum and frequencies are related via [itex]p = \hbar k[/itex]...you can see this fast with some dimensional analysis.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rwooduk
ChrisVer said:
I don't understand your questions (and I didn't see something similar in the notes you uploaded)
Momentum and frequencies are related via [itex]p = \hbar k[/itex]

Sorry, I'm trying to show that this $$\hbar \omega = \pm \sqrt{\hbar^{2} c^{2}k_{i}k_{i}+ m^{2}c^{4}} $$ is the same as this:

emcpc.gif


edit which you have just solved, sorry and thanks!
 
Yup it is... use the DeBroglie relations: [itex]E= \hbar \omega[/itex] and [itex]p= \hbar k[/itex]
since your wave function is expressed in terms of frequency/wavenumber instead of energy/momenta.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rwooduk