1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kleppner & Kolenkow find the tension of a rotating loop of string

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    Hello, I am a high school student trying to learn physics out of Kleppner and Kolenkow. Unfortunately, the solutions to some of the problems are not available online, nor is a solutions manual available, so I am unable to find out where I am wrong in some cases, such as this one. I would appreciate your clarification.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A piece of string of length L and mass M is fastened into a circular loop and set spinning about the center of a circle with uniform angular velocity ω. Find the tension in the string.

2. Relevant equations
    The answer in the book states that T = (M*L*ω^2)/(2π)^2, whereas the answer that I got was T = Mω^2/2π.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please the attached pdf - I have tried to write as clearly as possible, and am unable to find how my solution is incorrect. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A useful check is whether the various items you have expressions for are dimensionally correct. Your final answer has dimensions MT-2, which is wrong for a force.
    Apply the same test to your expression ΔθM/L.

4. Nov 4, 2012 #3
    Thank you! I forgot to include the factor R in there, which gets me where I want to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook