Angular momentum of rotating hoop

BroPro
Homework Statement
Hi! See attached below a question from Kleppner's Intro to Mechanics. I calculated the angular momentum using ##\mathbf L=M \mathbf R \times \mathbf V + \mathbf L_{cm}##, where ##\mathbf L_{cm}## is the angular momentum about the center of mass, but I got a different answer than the official solution.
I think both answers are correct: I calculated the angular momentum about the origin showed in the diagram, while (I think) the official solution implicitly calculated the angular momentum about the point of contact between the axle and the z axis. Is this correct? Yet it's strange for me that the angular momentum on the y axis cancels out: is this a mistake on my part, or really what happens? Why does it cancel out?
Relevant Equations
##\mathbf L=M \mathbf R \times \mathbf V + \mathbf L_{cm}##
Problem:
2023-12-02 12_31_10-Physics 1 - An Introduction to Mechanics Kleppner, Kolenkow 2nd Edition.pd...png

Official solution:
2023-12-02 12_49_25-Physics 1 - An Introduction to Mechanics Kleppner, Kolenkow 2nd Edition So...png

My calculation:
\begin{align*}
\mathbf L &= M \mathbf R \times \mathbf V + \mathbf L_{cm} \\
&= M R (\hat j + \hat k) \times (- \Omega R \hat i) + MR^2 \Omega \hat j \\
&= MR^2 \Omega (\hat k - \hat j + \hat j) \\
&= MR^2 \Omega \hat k
\end{align*}

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is ill posed since it fails to specify with respect to which point the angular momentum should be computed and the center of mass is not stationary.

I've realized the answer on my own, posting it here.
I've been blindly using the ##\mathbf \omega _s## vector of the official solution, but I've realized it should point in the opposite direction to negative y. Also, in my calculation of ##\mathbf L_{cm}## I've neglected the z axis rotation of the hoop, giving the correct angular momentum of
$$\mathbf L = MR^2 \Omega (\frac{3}{2}\hat k - 2 \hat j)$$
This value is off by ##-MR^2 \Omega \hat j## from the official answer of (with correction of the sign) ##\mathbf L = MR^2 \Omega (\frac{3}{2}\hat k - \hat j)##, which makes sense because my origin is off by $R$ from the origin used in the offical solution.

1. What is the formula for the angular momentum of a rotating hoop?

The formula for the angular momentum of a rotating hoop is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia of the hoop, and ω is the angular velocity of the hoop.

2. How does the angular momentum of a rotating hoop change with increasing angular velocity?

As the angular velocity of the rotating hoop increases, the angular momentum also increases. This relationship is directly proportional, meaning that a higher angular velocity will result in a higher angular momentum.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a rotating hoop?

The angular momentum of a rotating hoop is affected by the moment of inertia of the hoop and the angular velocity at which it is rotating. A larger moment of inertia or a higher angular velocity will result in a greater angular momentum.

4. Can the angular momentum of a rotating hoop be negative?

Yes, the angular momentum of a rotating hoop can be negative. This can occur if the direction of the angular velocity is opposite to the direction of the moment of inertia, resulting in a negative angular momentum value.

5. How is the angular momentum of a rotating hoop related to its kinetic energy?

The angular momentum of a rotating hoop is related to its kinetic energy through the equation L = Iω = 1/2 Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. This equation shows that the angular momentum is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of the rotating hoop.