Know anything about Florida State University undergrad physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to attend FSU for a physics degree, but expresses concern after reading a negative post about the program. Another participant shares their experience at UCF, stating that while the physics department is average, it is equipped for providing a good education. The original speaker expresses their commitment to attending FSU and mentions considering UCF as well. The conversation concludes with a question about the UCF physics program and a comment about wanting to work in optics.
carboy79
Hey, I'm attending FSU next fall and hoping to achieve a physics degree in 2 years (because i don't have to do any electives). I just read a post on here from someone who absolutely hated their physics program... professors/classes/everything. I was wondering if anyone else has experience with FSU that felt the same/different? Just looking for some comments on their physics program. Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumpsky

I'd say it looks average. I go to UCF actually, and our physics department is nothing spectacular. Though as far as the capacity to get the education you want from it, it is pretty equipped. What are your other options for schools?

Jawbreaker said:
I'd say it looks average. I go to UCF actually, and our physics department is nothing spectacular. Though as far as the capacity to get the education you want from it, it is pretty equipped. What are your other options for schools?

I've already committed to going there, signed a lease on an apt., etc. I just got a little freaked out because I read a post from someone on this site who recently went there and hated all the professors and said it "killed his desire to learn physics" haha. Hopefully this was just one person's opinion.

I'm going there regardless. I could've gone to UCF as well but when choosing schools i read that fsu had a better department (no offense). Either way I'll be powering through it in two years so if I don't love it, I won't be stuck there for 4 years, just 2.

Jawbreaker,
I'm going to transfer into UCF's Physics Department very soon here. What do you think of the program? I know it's "nothing spectacular" but I would like to work in Optics at some point and that seems to be right up UCF's alley.

1. What is the undergraduate physics program like at Florida State University?

The undergraduate physics program at Florida State University is highly regarded and offers a comprehensive curriculum that covers both theoretical and experimental physics. Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and opportunities for research and internships.

2. How competitive is the admissions process for the physics program at Florida State University?

The admissions process for the physics program at Florida State University is selective, but not overly competitive. Applicants must have a strong academic background, particularly in math and science, and demonstrate a passion for physics. The university also considers extracurricular activities and personal achievements.

3. Are there opportunities for undergraduate research in physics at Florida State University?

Yes, Florida State University offers numerous opportunities for undergraduate research in physics. Students can work with faculty on ongoing research projects or pursue their own independent research. The university also has partnerships with national laboratories and other research institutions, providing students with additional opportunities.

4. What career paths can I pursue with an undergraduate degree in physics from Florida State University?

A degree in physics from Florida State University can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia, government, or industry. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields, such as engineering or astronomy. The problem-solving and analytical skills gained through the program are also highly valued in fields such as finance, data science, and technology.

5. Is there a strong sense of community within the undergraduate physics program at Florida State University?

Yes, there is a strong sense of community within the undergraduate physics program at Florida State University. The program is relatively small, allowing for close interactions between students and faculty. There are also various student organizations and events that foster a sense of camaraderie among physics majors. Additionally, the university offers support services and resources to help students succeed in their academic and personal pursuits.