Know of a field that combines EM, fluid mech and stochastic processes?

In summary, the person suggests that they may be interested in pursuing a degree in fluid mechanics, EM, and stochastic processes all at once. They recommend reading books on the topic to get a better idea of what is involved.
denks
Touch of background, about half way through a mechatronics engineering degree, I found that I love fluid mechanics and from previous studies I know I enjoy EM. To throw a curve ball in I also am fascinated by the concept of randomness and the associated mathematics. Now for the question, could I be so lucky as to find there is a field that deals with fluid mech, EM and stochastic processes all in one that I could pursue at a postgrad level? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Physics news on Phys.org
denks said:
Touch of background, about half way through a mechatronics engineering degree, I found that I love fluid mechanics and from previous studies I know I enjoy EM. To throw a curve ball in I also am fascinated by the concept of randomness and the associated mathematics. Now for the question, could I be so lucky as to find there is a field that deals with fluid mech, EM and stochastic processes all in one that I could pursue at a postgrad level? Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Perhaps the one area what involves all three is the study of turbence, particularly in the area of two phase flow, and particularly at the transition point of single to two phase. Bubble nucleation/formation, coalescence, fission and collapse and their affect on the local momentum are challenging to simulate. One needs really good experiments and behavioral models to capture the physics involved. It gets even more complicated where surface effects and particulate matter is involved.

Laser doppler anemometry and X-ray/gamm-ray tomography are useful experimental tools. One also needs good algorithms to reconstruct the flow field - in 3 dimensions and time.

Hmmm, interesting suggestion, something like MHD turbulence may very well be a perfect fit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you should mention that, just happened to be looking up plasma physics at that exact same moment. Thanks heaps for the pointers and links!

Plasma physics is full of E&M and Statistical Thermodynamics plus the magnetohydrodynamical fluid equations are of great importance, check out the books Fundamentals of Plasma Physics by Bittencourt and Intro to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion by Chen.

1. What is the purpose of combining EM, fluid mechanics, and stochastic processes in a field of study?

The purpose of combining these three areas of science is to gain a better understanding of complex systems and phenomena. Each of these fields individually offers insights into different aspects of the natural world, but when combined, they can provide a more comprehensive understanding of how various systems behave.

2. What are some real-world applications of this interdisciplinary field?

This field has many practical applications, such as in weather forecasting, predicting and controlling fluid flow in engineering systems, and understanding the behavior of biological systems. It can also be used in the design of electrical and mechanical devices, as well as in the field of biophysics.

3. How do EM, fluid mechanics, and stochastic processes interact with each other in this field?

EM (electromagnetic) fields play a crucial role in fluid mechanics, as they can generate forces that affect the flow of fluids. Stochastic processes, which involve random fluctuations, can also impact fluid flow and be influenced by EM fields. By studying the interactions between these three areas, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of how they affect each other.

4. What types of research methods are used in this field?

Researchers in this field use a combination of theoretical and experimental approaches. They may use mathematical models and computer simulations to study the behavior of complex systems, as well as conduct experiments in controlled environments to test their hypotheses and theories.

5. How does this field contribute to our understanding of natural phenomena?

By combining EM, fluid mechanics, and stochastic processes, this field offers a more holistic approach to understanding natural phenomena. It allows scientists to study complex systems in a more integrated way, which can lead to new discoveries and a deeper understanding of the world around us.