Know of a field that combines EM, fluid mech and stochastic processes?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
denks
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Touch of background, about half way through a mechatronics engineering degree, I found that I love fluid mechanics and from previous studies I know I enjoy EM. To throw a curve ball in I also am fascinated by the concept of randomness and the associated mathematics. Now for the question, could I be so lucky as to find there is a field that deals with fluid mech, EM and stochastic processes all in one that I could pursue at a postgrad level? Thanks in advance for any pointers.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
denks said:
Touch of background, about half way through a mechatronics engineering degree, I found that I love fluid mechanics and from previous studies I know I enjoy EM. To throw a curve ball in I also am fascinated by the concept of randomness and the associated mathematics. Now for the question, could I be so lucky as to find there is a field that deals with fluid mech, EM and stochastic processes all in one that I could pursue at a postgrad level? Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Perhaps the one area what involves all three is the study of turbence, particularly in the area of two phase flow, and particularly at the transition point of single to two phase. Bubble nucleation/formation, coalescence, fission and collapse and their affect on the local momentum are challenging to simulate. One needs really good experiments and behavioral models to capture the physics involved. It gets even more complicated where surface effects and particulate matter is involved.

Laser doppler anemometry and X-ray/gamm-ray tomography are useful experimental tools. One also needs good algorithms to reconstruct the flow field - in 3 dimensions and time.
 
Hmmm, interesting suggestion, something like MHD turbulence may very well be a perfect fit!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Funny you should mention that, just happened to be looking up plasma physics at that exact same moment. Thanks heaps for the pointers and links!
 
Plasma physics is full of E&M and Statistical Thermodynamics plus the magnetohydrodynamical fluid equations are of great importance, check out the books Fundamentals of Plasma Physics by Bittencourt and Intro to Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion by Chen.