Knowingly taking placebo pills eases pain, study finds

• Medical
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain Study
In summary, the study found that taking a placebo pill for lower back pain reduced pain and disability. Patients who knew they were taking placebos reported 30 percent less pain and 29 percent reduction in disability compared to control group.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161014214919.htm

How can taking a placebo pill cure back ache, do some people imagine they have back ache so the (cure) works.
Date:
October 14, 2016
Source:
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Summary:
A new study is the first to demonstrate beneficial placebo effect for lower back pain sufferers who knew they were taking 'fake pills.' Patients who knowingly took placebos reported 30 percent less pain and 29 percent reduction in disability compared to control group. 'Open-labeling' addresses longtime ethical dilemma, allowing patients to choose placebo treatments with informed consent.
Share:

Likes Garlic
Biology news on Phys.org
I've been using this technique for a while. Believing that you get better in one area for a while, despite the fact that you know this is only your imagination. However the problem with this technique is, if you only believe this with your consciousness, the effects disappear once you stop thinking about it (which usually occur within a minute). The true effect of this phenomena would be able to seen, when the individials subconsciousness believe in this, too, where the effects (although not too strong) would last much longer.
One example of this in our daily lives would probably be the optimism and pessimism; when the induvidial is optimistic, the one sees things in a posivite way, and vice versa. And because of that, their lives differ even if they experience the same things.
These are my opinions on this subject.

"Our findings demonstrate the placebo effect can be elicited without deception,"

No.

"Taking placebo pills to relieve symptoms without a warm and empathic relationship with a health-care provider relationship probably would not work,"

Expectations from the environment can be manipulated and influence even if that's a form of deception that only weights on the subconscious.

Emotional validation (concern, attention, etc.) by others almost always helps people feel better when struggling, that's the reason counseling can work. Having concerned people 'in it with you' has a protective health affect in numerous situations like serious illnesses, poverty, crisis, and even war situations. The finding doesn't surprise me. It's nice to have someone care, even if just a stranger handing you a pill.

It works for some people and not for others. That's basically it. It doesn't work for me. For example, I'll think I've taken my pain meds, and and hour later I'm still in excrutiating pain, and can't understand why, then find my pills, I didn't take them. So, if the placebo effect worked, thinking I took them should have relieved the pain and it didn't.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Yeah, I think there are a lot of psychological factors affecting this kind of thing.

If I am busy doing something active, I am often not aware of minor nicks and cuts when they occur.
Also sometimes I get mildly sick (gradually) and don't realize it until I got recover and notice I had been not feeling good.

Likes Fervent Freyja

1. What is a placebo?

A placebo is a substance or treatment that has no active ingredients or therapeutic properties. It is often used in medical studies as a control group to compare the effects of a new drug or treatment.

2. How does taking a placebo ease pain?

The exact mechanism is not fully understood, but it is believed that the act of taking a pill, even if it is a placebo, can trigger the release of natural pain-relieving chemicals in the brain, such as endorphins.

3. Can anyone take a placebo for pain relief?

No, taking a placebo for pain relief should only be done under the supervision of a medical professional. It is important to first rule out any underlying medical conditions that may be causing the pain.

4. Are there any side effects of taking a placebo?

Generally, placebos are considered safe and do not have any known side effects. However, some people may experience a placebo response, which can include mild side effects such as nausea or headaches.

5. Is taking a placebo a reliable way to manage pain?

While this study suggests that knowingly taking placebos may provide some pain relief, it is not a reliable or recommended method for managing pain. It is important to consult with a doctor for proper pain management and to address any underlying issues causing the pain.

Back