Kramers-Kronig relationship between ultrasonic attenuation and phase velocty

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
chauhan89
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Forum,

I am currently attempting to utilize http://bayes.wustl.edu/etj/articles/kramers-kronig.pdf" Unfortunately ... I have not been successful. I have tried for the past week and asked those around me.
All help is appreciated.

The equation is as follows:
( 1/c(w0) ) - ( 1/c(w) ) = 2/pi*( integral from w0 to w ; wrt dw')

the integrand is
alpha(w')/(w'^2)

Definitions
alpha ;known function for attenuation.
c ;function for speed
w0 ;known base frequency, speed known at this frequency
w ;variable frequency (chosen by me; I would use equation to solve for c(w) )

I believe the problem lies with the units I use for attenuation.
Attenuation data that is available in db/cm does not provide the correct results. This happens when I keep the attenuation in db/cm or do a conversion.

ie. A is db/cm. I use the value ==10^(A/20).

I do get correct results when I use attenuation data available in cm. (no db or anything).

So is my conversion wrong? Is there another way to treat attenuation? I have tried variations such as 10^(A/10), and made sure MatLab numerical integration is accurate, other unit conversions accurate, etc.

All help is welcome! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How are you able to tell whether your results are correct? Where are you obtaining the different types of data?
 
You obviously shouldn't use decibels. The final units should be sec/m since it is the inverse of speed. So the attenuation coefficient should have units of 1/(m-s^2) I think.