Ksp and precipitation of carbonates

In summary, the conversation is about determining which carbonate will precipitate based on Ksp values. The person initially chose B as the answer, but then questioned their thinking. Another person suggests calculating the molarity of the ions in the solution to determine if the precipitate will form, and the original person realizes that B is indeed the correct answer.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 1.46.53 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The lower the Ksp, the more insoluble. Therefore, I chose B since strontium and barium carbonates have the lowest Ksp. However, the question asks which carbonate will precipitate and I know that all carbonates are insoluble. Can someone explain to me what did I think wrong?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you calculate instead of guessing?

Likes TT0
Why don't you calculate instead of guessing?

Sorry, but I can't see what to calculate. Could you please tell me where can I calculate something?

Thanks!

You are given Ksp, you are given concentrations - you can easily check whether the precipitate should form or not. If you don't see how - read about solving Ksp related problems.

Don't forget about dilution.

I see, after calculating, strontium and barium carbonate won't dissolve as the molarity of the ions in the solution exceed the amount that will dissolve. Is the answer B?

Thanks

Yes.

Likes TT0

1. What is Ksp and how is it related to the precipitation of carbonates?

Ksp, or solubility product constant, is a measure of the equilibrium between a solid substance and its dissolved ions in a solution. In the case of carbonates, Ksp is used to calculate the solubility of the carbonate ion, which is important in determining when precipitation of carbonates will occur.

2. How is the solubility of carbonates affected by temperature?

In general, the solubility of carbonates decreases as temperature increases. This is because as the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the molecules also increases, making it more difficult for the carbonate ions to come together and form a solid precipitate.

3. How does the pH of a solution affect the precipitation of carbonates?

The pH of a solution can significantly affect the precipitation of carbonates. In basic solutions, the carbonate ion is more likely to remain in solution, while in acidic solutions, the carbonate ion may react with hydrogen ions to form carbonic acid, which can then dissociate into carbon dioxide and water. This decreases the concentration of carbonate ions, making precipitation less likely.

4. Can other ions in a solution impact the precipitation of carbonates?

Yes, other ions in a solution can impact the precipitation of carbonates. For example, the presence of magnesium ions can form magnesium carbonate, which has a lower solubility than calcium carbonate. This can shift the equilibrium towards the precipitation of magnesium carbonate instead of calcium carbonate.

5. How can Ksp be used to predict the precipitation of carbonates in a solution?

Ksp can be used to calculate the maximum concentration of carbonate ions in a solution before precipitation occurs. If the concentration of carbonate ions in the solution exceeds the Ksp value, then precipitation will occur. Additionally, Ksp can be used to compare the solubility of different carbonates and predict which one will precipitate first in a solution with multiple carbonate ions present.