Ksp and precipitation of carbonates

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
TT0
Messages
210
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 1.46.53 PM.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The lower the Ksp, the more insoluble. Therefore, I chose B since strontium and barium carbonates have the lowest Ksp. However, the question asks which carbonate will precipitate and I know that all carbonates are insoluble. Can someone explain to me what did I think wrong?

Cheers!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you calculate instead of guessing?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TT0
Why don't you calculate instead of guessing?

Sorry, but I can't see what to calculate. Could you please tell me where can I calculate something?

Thanks!
 
You are given Ksp, you are given concentrations - you can easily check whether the precipitate should form or not. If you don't see how - read about solving Ksp related problems.

Don't forget about dilution.
 
I see, after calculating, strontium and barium carbonate won't dissolve as the molarity of the ions in the solution exceed the amount that will dissolve. Is the answer B?

Thanks